Lyubov

Does killing and eating animals have a place in conscious society?

105 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, kever said:

Not very up-to-date on this, but looking at human biology one would think we aren't build to live on a carnivorous diet (looking at our teeth and intestines). What do you think?

I believe anatomically and physiologically we skew towards starchy foods (amylase enzyme, teeth, digestion), but it's somewhat an ill-formed question as we're omnivores capable of eating most things except cellulose. Health and longevity is however not wholly congruent with structural/evolutionary adaptation. Natural selection mainly cares about producing babies.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

13 minutes ago, kever said:

Not very up-to-date on this, but looking at human biology one would think we aren't build to live on a carnivorous diet (looking at our teeth and intestines). What do you think?

I think it depends what meat we are talking about, which society and how much 

a chief slaughtering a goat for his tribe does not count

a fat guy on the road eating lunch and ordering two Big Macs is not remotely conscious if you have the means to prepare something else and are just lazy

What modern western society most has on its dinner plate is not conscious and is excessive and cruel to most animals and could be cut way back.

Edited by Lyubov

3 hours ago, kever said:

My current thinking is that an all-animal diet, i.e pure carnivore, is likely to have long term problems.

Yes, I feel it is undeniable that humans have some carnivore built into us. We thrive on animal foods. But it is highly unlikely that is all we ate. There was likely some degree of plant foods as well.

Edited by aurum

Depends on how conscious we go, above our current western culture killing animals has little place there.

Abolishing this is a step into a more conscious society relative to ours.

By the way, cows are beautiful creatures, it's really a shame seeing that.

And also, introducing lab grown meat into society is not necessarily an expression of society becoming higher conscious.

Higher conscious would be if you actually identify with their well/being.

Edited by ilja