Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim R

Running Meditation (no-mind)

2 posts in this topic

I'd like to share this meditation technique with you, it works unbelievably well for me and gets me extremely effectively and reliably into a state of no-mind. I don't know if there is an actual form of "running meditation" out there already, so I have basically discovered it as a meditation technique myself. 

. So basically what you do is you go for a run, preferably somewhere in nature. The point is to go to a place where there aren't many distractions like flashy ad lights or loud traffic and stuff like that. 

The effectiveness of this technique relies on two things which you get in combination from running:

Feeling & Flow / Effortlessness

Both feeling and flow don't kick in instantaneously, you have to keep running for a little while to get both states going,but it doesn't take long. Depending on how regular of a runner you are*, the flow will set on earlier. 

Feeling: obviously, as you are running, after a while you will start to feel your body. Your muscles, your feet, your torso, your arms, your joints, your legs, basically everything. Running is one of the few activities in which your whole body is working. This gives you something to focus on, which isn't a thought. But your body isn't the only thing your going to feel: right at the start, there might be intense euphoria and an adrenaline rush, depending on how eager you are to run. This rush will fade off after around a few minutes, but it's the entry. Then comes your body. You don't even have to direct your focus towards your body, it will happen naturally. Feeling will simply announce themselves to you and you're going to notice them, it's unforced focus. This unforced focus is very important. Don't lock your focus on anything, try to let everything in without discrimination. When you get the feeling that your focus is highly alert but somewhat diffuse, you're doing it right. Keep running, and listen to your body. When your mind says "stop", don't just give in. Notice the thought suddenly arising, and let it go. It's just like in normal meditation. It takes practice. But when your body says "stop, I need a break", take a break. It's absolutely essential to this technique that that you don't force yourself into running

Flow/Effortlessness: this is the most important aspect of this technique. As you are focusing on your body in an unforced and natural way, what will happen eventually, is that you will get into a state where you aren't running anymore. Let me explain: There's no "I am running" anymore, there's just "running". It feels (notice it as the feeling that it is) automated, but in such a way that you aren't the separate witness of an automated process, you are the process! You have merged into the process of running and it is a very funny feeling. You suddenly feel as though you are as light as a feather and free as the air. Your body doesn't weigh anything anymore, it carries itself, jumping along and enjoying the dance. In this state you can also feel very euphoric, because the whole notion of "I am the force behind my running body, the one who's pushing" has disappeared and so the initial gravitas, the seriousness and the forcefulness have vanished too. 

This combination of feeling into your body and merging into an ongoing process will (at least partially) eliminate the sense of "self" and the constant chatter of mind. It works great for me and if you like running, try it yourself. You can listen to music, but preferably without lyrics as they might get your thinking mind going. 

And if you're not running regularly, you might wanna start because it's great. I do it because it's fun, not because it's healthy or good for me or whatever. 

Initially it might seem hard (and it actually is hard), but after a couple of runs, you will become addicted. Great, innit?xD

* I should ad that when you're actually not running regularly, start out by simply running. This technique is more for people who already feel comfortable running.

Edited by Tim R

I can recommend it too, I ran a few times, unfortunately I don't have a lot of endurance but as soon as I found my pace I tend to enter the effortless autopilot where the body runs on it's own and it feels so great.

However, I believe that the work is done during normal meditation, and that the Body naturally drops in that state while running, due to practice.

Sometimes I am in that state for entire days, and what also can put you in such a state is a sauna. Sometimes when I am in the sauna, for a while, I stay with the pain(s) just sitting, and then suddenly there's a shift, and I don't mind the pain(s) anymore. There's no suffering at all.
I always thought this was because I was about to pass out, but no that's just equanimity.

I would love to just be able to stay in that state all the time, it feels like paradise lol.