lilacwest

Is Anyone Else Practicing Awareness On A Regular Basis?

15 posts in this topic

Is anyone else practicing just trying to be aware in the present moment, over and over again? I've already been doing it here and there daily for years, but Leo's recent awareness video had me realizing I'm still not aware and I want to be.

How do I practice awareness? Just by bringing my attention to the current moment. I do it on the walk to the bus, on the bus, walking into work, sitting at my desk at work, such as noticing my fingers typing at the keys, noticing the ceiling, noticing the trees out the window, noticing the feel of the floor under my feet, the feel of my hands on the keyboard, etc and if I get distracted, bring myself back to the moment. I will also literally catch myself thinking about something and just STOP. I do this over and over.

I tell you though, it can get BORING. And I'm realizing just how impatient my ego is. And funny enough a YT video I listened to at work today mentioned this, that the more you practice being present in the moment, the more bored your ego is going to get and cry complain at you, and try to get you to think about fun things, or plan fun things.

I want to get to the point where I am no longer bored with it. Where I am content no matter what is happening in the moment. Where I daydream a lot less because I am actually AWARE of what I am and daydreams I'm sure could not compare.

I want to break through to the other side, past the boredom, and the impatience.

By the way, the benefits of doing this regularly? Besides the ultimate goal, I believe I think a lot less than most people. My mind is actually silent a lot, compared to when I was younger. People tell me they think all the time and their mind never shuts up, that's how I know other people are always thinking.

Ugh but just lately, my mind is more talkative now during meditation than usual.

Hi lilacwest. You raise very interesting questions, which I have also experienced.

I wonder though whether you are forcing or 'white knuckling' present moment. To me, present moment is Being in the moment. It's effortless. It's about surrendering to all that is. It's about letting go of all expectations, outcomes and destinations.

No doubt, the mind has a tendency to wander and we will at times need to bring it back to the now.

That's great you are able to Be at times, though it does appear it is taking a lot of effort on your behalf.

To me, Being in the present moment is anything but boring. Nor do I experience impatience.

Maybe you might ask yourself what it is you are expecting by being present. Is there a state you are attempting to achieve? What does that state look and feel like? Are you truely allowing yourself to be present? Or, are you just thinking you are present? Esoteric? Yes! Look deep - really deep. 

Being present to the moment is just that. Nothing from the past; nothing for the future; no expectations; no illusions. It's a complete clearing of everything which sees you connected with all that is. 

It literally is remembering to 'stop and smell the roses'! And what is that? It means, to me, to let go of everything and just Be exactly where I am that exact moment and realise I am part of something wonderful. Best wishes.

Yeah I do this all the time, every day, as much as I can. I call it "constant mindfulness practice". I also do the "formal" Mindfulness meditation as Leo described it in one of his videos and I use an affirmation "I am always mindful".

Developing Mindfulness (Awareness) is my #1 priority right now.

When you feel bored, try to watch the boredom - where it feels, how it feels. Also try to watch your inner resistance to being bored. Let the boredom be another good object for practicing awareness.

When I am tired, though, sometimes I let myself to fall asleep into thoughts. Because practicing awareness is not an automatic or easy task for me (at least at my current low level of awareness).

@lilacwest I'm currently also experiencing this exact problem. After literally doing all of the above to "try" and be present I find my mind is masterful in coming up with new things to be dissastisfied about. At the moment it's this pattern of being hyper aware of sensations in my body like in my back or the top of my head or even when I move my eyes and I go into this resistance by saying "This Shouldn't be happening" if I was truly present everything would be perfectly still and I would be in a state of absolute oneness and joy so my mind goes to check if that is the case now and ...oh no there's that sensation again your not present ! this is a loop that repeats itself in particular in the afternoons as like you I am quite bored in my job. I did just watch Leo's video on 40 ways your neurotic which outlines ultimately all neurosis is demanding things should be a certain way rather than being at peace with the way they really are - you COULD check it out ! 

One thing I have found helpful when observing the thoughts in your mind and bringing attention into the "inner body" is to imagine if you like two clear see-through clouds (one in your head and the other in your body) start by watching yourself literally as if there was a movie screen in front of you sitting at your desk and then by way of special effects you have these two clear clouds inside you constantly moving and changing form. It helps to remind me that I am not my mind and I can for brief intervals hold this realization of the observer watching the thinking mind 

Interesting topic. I try to practice mindfulness, being aware of the present moment. Instead of getting bored though it is actually the absence of any particular emotion or feeling that I get. It's just a state of 'neutrality' for me.

I think maybe what you are doing is trying to specifically 'engage' in the present moment. For me, I don't try to interact in any way with it. I don't 'think' about the present moment. I just observe it without any form of judgment or expectation. Just let it be. It sounds to me like you are 'trying too hard' to be present. Trying to analyse the moment. Being aware is about being aware but not thinking about it. Not having expetations of it.

I was recently on a 4 hour flight on a plane without any entertainment and it was dark outside so there was nothing to see. I relaxed my body and my mind and just allowed my senses to see and hear. There wasn't much to see and hear - just the roar of the plane, voices, sudden sounds, people moving about, occasional motion. But I just allowed myself to be aware without questioning or analysing or trying to 'mentally interrogate' the present moment. I just felt relaxed and neutral. And that was it, for 4 hours. And I didn't 'feel' bored once. In fact there was no real sense of time.

Boredom comes from the lack of stimulation. But to become bored you have to be thinking about something that offers that stimulation. You have to also be having some expectation of some 'reward' from being present that you weren't getting. The expectation was unfulfilled. Being aware of time doesn't help. If you're counting the minutes and hours you will feel frustration and boredom.

I find meditation really helps to quieten down the need for stimulation and be more accepting of the present moment without the feeling of boredom. Ultimately if you're feeling bored then your mind is focussing on other more stimulating pursuits. Monkeymind. That is perhaps where the work needs doing.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

7 hours ago, JeffR1 said:

Maybe you might ask yourself what it is you are expecting by being present. Is there a state you are attempting to achieve? What does that state look and feel like? Are you truely allowing yourself to be present? Or, are you just thinking you are present? Esoteric? Yes! Look deep - really deep. 

After a specific amount of time "you" start to see that being present isn't a state, or an expectation that you need to achieve. It was always there, it will always be there. "You" have to align yourself with being. I'm just at the start of my journey and it's comforting to know that it's already there. Great point JeffR1. :) 

I can't believe myself sometimes. 

I agree that following your feelings in the moment is the best technique of all. It takes so much practice, but it's amazing the thoughts you realize you're having and how they impact every moment. 

I practice every minute. The most casual way to go about enlightenment is self-love. To do everything on your own is kind of egoïstic. Often saying 'I love you' to yourself, raises your state of emotion that matches love/enlightenment. You resolve density in your body what eventually causes enlightenment.

Life is when awareness hides in the idea of personal experience. ~ Matt Kahn

@Andrew It appears that you have created in the mind a scenario of how you think things should be. That is the main conflict.  It is not possible to see what is, if you are looking for something else.   Furthermore, the appearance of reality,  that which one thinks they see is not an actuality.  We live in and experience a dualistic world.  As long as there is a physical body to experience with then the play of opposites will always be in effect.

For every "good" thing that we think about there will be the equivalent "bad" thing manifesting.   For every "UP" there will be a stabilizing "DOWN".  The vedanta teacher James Swartz gives some great examples of this situation of apparently conflicting dualities in life in his book
"The Essence of Enlightenment-Vedanta, The Science of Consciousness:  (The highlighting is mine)

... life is a zero-sum game.  It is a zero-sum game because the world of objects is a duality.  You cannot win every time.  You lose as much as you win.  I need money for security, but my desire to spend (what good is money if you can't spend it) makes me insecure.  The more pleasure I get, the more pleasure I want.  Wanting is painful.  I want power to be free of my sense of inadequacy and smallness, but power depends on circumstances not under my control, causing me to feel powerless.  I want to be perfect, but the more perfect I become, the more hidden imperfections come to light.  I want to enjoy the intimacy of a relationship, but to get it I need to be attached to the object, so i lose my freedom.  If I want to be free, I have to sacrifice intimacy.  The list goes on.

joy :)

Edited by walt

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I agree, I think I may  be trying too hard and I will be working on relaxing while I do it, and just observing my mind when irritation comes up. I am glad to hear other people are doing this throughout the day also! Also inspirational that some of you have reached a place where you are feeling neutral or even feeling good, being in the present moment.

21 hours ago, lilacwest said:

Is anyone else practicing just trying to be aware in the present moment, over and over again? I've already been doing it here and there daily for years, but Leo's recent awareness video had me realizing I'm still not aware and I want to be.

How do I practice awareness? Just by bringing my attention to the current moment. I do it on the walk to the bus, on the bus, walking into work, sitting at my desk at work, such as noticing my fingers typing at the keys, noticing the ceiling, noticing the trees out the window, noticing the feel of the floor under my feet, the feel of my hands on the keyboard, etc and if I get distracted, bring myself back to the moment. I will also literally catch myself thinking about something and just STOP. I do this over and over.

I tell you though, it can get BORING. And I'm realizing just how impatient my ego is. And funny enough a YT video I listened to at work today mentioned this, that the more you practice being present in the moment, the more bored your ego is going to get and cry complain at you, and try to get you to think about fun things, or plan fun things.

I want to get to the point where I am no longer bored with it. Where I am content no matter what is happening in the moment. Where I daydream a lot less because I am actually AWARE of what I am and daydreams I'm sure could not compare.

I want to break through to the other side, past the boredom, and the impatience.

By the way, the benefits of doing this regularly? Besides the ultimate goal, I believe I think a lot less than most people. My mind is actually silent a lot, compared to when I was younger. People tell me they think all the time and their mind never shuts up, that's how I know other people are always thinking.

Ugh but just lately, my mind is more talkative now during meditation than usual.

In my experience it definitely seems boring if I'm looking for something special to happen.  Play games with yourself to invite some interest.  Ask yourself:  what is it that's seeing? what hears? what feels bored?  When an answer pops up, what is it that knows the answer?  Or try things like just focusing on sounds.  One day, while I was sitting in a parked car with the windows open, I allowed my body to relax & just tuned into the sounds outside:  car doors opening & closing, footsteps, talking & laughter, a garbage truck, a commuter train.  It was all so interesting,  & with varied tones, like music.  At that moment it was anything but boring!

The ultimate question one can ask is, "who am I"? Upon serious inquiry, one will find out that there is no me. This is the direct path to enlightenment. 

What also helps me to keep doing this constant awareness pracitce, is that I know, based on all the information from other people, that every time I become mindful, it is good for my mental health, it improves my overal well-being and it makes my psychology healthier. The more I am mindful (aware), the better quality of my life.

I try to have this attitude - "I've just cleaned my teeth and hell... It was so boring. But hey, my teeth are a little bit healthier now".

You become a little bit healthier every time you remember to be mindful.

My two cents..

I think you might want to sit down and think about why you want to be in the present moment in the first place..

Inquire into the nature of life, your mortality, judgement and non-judgement, the nature of empathy, the nature of your free will, why you have a particular disposition/personality, the nature of your desires (as in walt's post) etc, and you will find it. If your ego is impatient, it COULD be that your mind itself is resistant, because you haven't truly reasoned why you truly want to stay in the moment.

Just a thought though..because I'm not so sure that it's easy to gain insight just by listening to other people about why THEY chose it. It's not really a mental health thing at all, that's a side-benefit..

I like to think of it as putting my child eyes on. Things like washing the dishes, but now you're noticing the warmth of the water, the look of the bubbles, the sound of the water. When I pull myself completely in the moment it is with an awareness with all the senses, and while there is no judgement or expectation, it is with a childlike glee and appreciation. You might want to just try the next time you take a shower just really notice how the water feels on your skin, how does the soap smell, what does the shower sound like. If you really take it all in, it is anything but boring, you don't want to leave the shower. and the cool thing is, you are practicing gratefulness at the same time. Anyway, little greenhorn here, but sometimes looking at things from different perspectives you might just stumble on something that clicks with you.