Xpansion

Stop The Shoulds

4 posts in this topic

Ive noticed Leo uses language sometimes that comes across as quite aggressive. In particular he throws the word "should" out there a lot which can be damaging to our self relationship and relationship with others. Some people may need a tough speaking coach to give them a boot up the arse but generally I find the style a bit sanctimonious.  Having always been rather anti-authoritarian I dont appreciate the aggression in some of the talks.    
Heres an interesting article from the huff post on why we need to use the word "should" a lot less.

Stop saying the word should

Edited by Xpansion
missed word out

Wisdom is settling in and experiencing reality in the moment.

I think Leo is well aware of this fact. He's done an entire video on how to stop 'shoulding' and moralising. However his teaching style is necessary to provoke people in to action. I personally like his style. What I don't like are people that tiptoe around, giving softly-softly advice that avoids confronting the big issues such that people never actually see the issues they need to be confronting. But those of us that have been following his content for long enough know what he his really saying behind the apparent 'shoulding'. There is no need for anyone to take is personally or be offended by it. It's a necessary tool to 'wake' people up. He is only telling you what you could be doing if you want to improve the quality of your life.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

1 hour ago, FindingPeace said:

I think Leo is well aware of this fact. He's done an entire video on how to stop 'shoulding' and moralising. However his teaching style is necessary to provoke people in to action. I personally like his style. What I don't like are people that tiptoe around, giving softly-softly advice that avoids confronting the big issues such that people never actually see the issues they need to be confronting. But those of us that have been following his content for long enough know what he his really saying behind the apparent 'shoulding'. There is no need for anyone to take is personally or be offended by it. It's a necessary tool to 'wake' people up. He is only telling you what you could be doing if you want to improve the quality of your life.

Not offended just not really into the authoritarian thing. I get what you're saying but just don't personally subscribe to that view. 

1 hour ago, John Flores said:

@Xpansion I disagree with Leo all the time. His rigid viewpoints do not nullify his genius. Don't let his beliefs affect yours, but I think you should allow his concrete understanding to shape your core as well.

He is a special guy, although impractical. I don't like when people feel threatened by truth and I have encountered crazy resistance to truth from people who have spent their lives with 50 years of ego,  trying to understand Wats, intellectually..

Agreed. There is a lot of really great stuff to take on and the stuff that doesn't resonate I leave.  I come from more of a Buddhist perspective. Kindness and gentleness towards self and others is very important.  I get that some people feel they need a boot but it doesn't work for me personally. Makes me rebel more.  I prefer a gentle but firm approach. Having said that I am enjoying the life purpose course so far.