Frode

Do You Have A Business Idea? If So, Maybe Some Of These Ideas Can Help You!

13 posts in this topic

Here are my favorite ideas from "The Personal MBA" by Josh Kaufman. I hope you receive some benefit from them, and I'd be very happy if you give me some constructive feedback on my presentation of the ideas! :)

On 10/10/2016 at 6:38 PM, Frode said:

Here are my favorite ideas from "The Personal MBA" by Josh Kaufman. I hope you receive some benefit from them, and I'd be very happy if you give me some constructive feedback on my presentation of the ideas! :)

Awesome stuff man. Keep up the work :)

On 10/10/2016 at 1:38 PM, Frode said:

Pros:  

Nice framing (rule of thirds used)

Well organized and thorough

Appropriate Background

Good and in-demand idea for channel

Your content will never run out, so your channel could go on as long as you want it to

Suggestions:

A little mechanical on delivery. It's a bit difficult to listen to because it feels like you're reading it. I would work toward being more conversational and off-the-cuff.

Could use somewhat better lighting

You may work on branding a bit more to set yourself aside from the rest. There should be something that you're offering that no one else is: personality-wise, channel branding-wise, or content-wise.

Overall, I think you can be very successful with this idea if you play your cards right! :D

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

10 hours ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

Pros:  

Nice framing (rule of thirds used)

Well organized and thorough

Appropriate Background

Good and in-demand idea for channel

Your content will never run out, so your channel could go on as long as you want it to

Suggestions:

A little mechanical on delivery. It's a bit difficult to listen to because it feels like you're reading it. I would work toward being more conversational and off-the-cuff.

Could use somewhat better lighting

You may work on branding a bit more to set yourself aside from the rest. There should be something that you're offering that no one else is: personality-wise, channel branding-wise, or content-wise.

Overall, I think you can be very successful with this idea if you play your cards right! :D

Hey Emerald, if you have checked out my channel I'd like to know your opinion on that also and any improvements you would make. I'm working on making more of a stand out so it's not just me talking into the camera and incorporating edits but don't know yet.

It would be amazing to read your advice.

@Emerald Wilkins Thanks a LOT, Emerald, you've got some golden advice there!

I've been a bit mechanical, largely because I'm a native Norwegian (no excuse), and the other reason is that I have been shooting without practicing a few times before I recorded => I'll practice more, such that I can be more relaxed and conversational.

Better lighting will be coming up by new year! 

And the branding sounds very important. I've been thinking something like "more wisdom in less time", but that's the slogan for Brian Johnson, word for word. Another thought is to shoot for "the greatest collection of life mastery wisdom". Regarding the personality, I am going to make an effort to show more enthusiasm in my videos, instead of being so mechanical. 

Lastly, I've been thinking about changing names on my channel, to something that conveys "life mastery" in a better way. Do you have any thoughts on this? :-) 

On 11/9/2016 at 1:29 AM, Live Life Liam said:

Hey Emerald, if you have checked out my channel I'd like to know your opinion on that also and any improvements you would make. I'm working on making more of a stand out so it's not just me talking into the camera and incorporating edits but don't know yet.

It would be amazing to read your advice.

Pros:

- I can tell you have a naturally vibrant personality, and lots of people look for this in a motivational speaker

- Great positive message

- You could easily brand yourself and your channel if you capitalize upon your uniqueness. You stand out. I remember you from a year ago. :D

Suggestions:

- I can tell that your delivery style is influenced a lot by Ralph Smart. You should really try to analyze your personality and capitalize upon it in your presentation. Otherwise, it's easy to fall into the trap of taking on the traits of your favorite Youtubers. For example, Leo has been a major influence of mine, but I try to undertone that as much as possible (with the exception of the use of crazy thumbnails :D). So, I even avoid mannerisms and speech patterns that I would normally use, to set myself aside. Like, I use the word "counter-intuitive" ALL the time in life. But I never use it in my videos because it's one of Leo's buzzwords. hehe. I'll choose a word like paradoxical instead. So, I would recommend analyzing your personality and strategizing a way to share yourself naturally and authentically, while still being engaging, and avoiding sounding like your influences.

- You'll want to choose a more memorable background with a personality that fits your content. It's an important part of branding.

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

On 11/9/2016 at 5:32 AM, Frode said:

@Emerald Wilkins Thanks a LOT, Emerald, you've got some golden advice there!

I've been a bit mechanical, largely because I'm a native Norwegian (no excuse), and the other reason is that I have been shooting without practicing a few times before I recorded => I'll practice more, such that I can be more relaxed and conversational.

Better lighting will be coming up by new year! 

And the branding sounds very important. I've been thinking something like "more wisdom in less time", but that's the slogan for Brian Johnson, word for word. Another thought is to shoot for "the greatest collection of life mastery wisdom". Regarding the personality, I am going to make an effort to show more enthusiasm in my videos, instead of being so mechanical. 

Lastly, I've been thinking about changing names on my channel, to something that conveys "life mastery" in a better way. Do you have any thoughts on this? :-) 

You're welcome! I think, since your videos are shorter, I would recommend recording yourself reading off a script. Then, listen to the recording several times. Then, record yourself again until you're able to deliver the information nonchalantly. Since your videos are about five minutes, this probably won't take too much extra work, and I think the results will be much better.

I think, tagline-wise, you'll want to think about who your target audiences are. For example, my audience for my channel is 75% male and 25% female. Most of my viewers are between 18 and 35. I attract people from the personal development/self help community, enlightenment seekers, new agers, philosophy buffs, and a few others. So, you want to keep your audience in mind. I would guess that the target audience for your channel would be predominantly male and between the ages of 19 and 35 as well. You'll probably attract entrepreneurs, personal development/self help community, college students, bookworms, people trying to pick themselves up out of sub-optimal situations, and several others.

So, given this prediction, be sure that you stand out within the limits of these markets. So, keeping your colors more neutral or toned down is a good idea. Think about the color scheme of the inside of Barnes and Noble. I get sort of a hip, intellectual feel from that experience of being there. I think this could work well for your branding... but there could be other angles too. 

As for taglines, I like the idea of "more wisdom in less time" but it isn't very catchy. How about "wisdom in minutes" or "fast insights for success" or "5 minutes of mastery" or "stepping stones on the path of life mastery" or some other combination of these ideas. Maybe you could call your channel something like "The Bag of Tricks" or something cheeky like that to make it stand out more. Feel free to use any of these or toss them out... I'm just brainstorming. :D 

Emotionalmastery.org

16 hours ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

You're welcome! I think, since your videos are shorter, I would recommend recording yourself reading off a script. Then, listen to the recording several times. Then, record yourself again until you're able to deliver the information nonchalantly. Since your videos are about five minutes, this probably won't take too much extra work, and I think the results will be much better.

I think, tagline-wise, you'll want to think about who your target audiences are. For example, my audience for my channel is 75% male and 25% female. Most of my viewers are between 18 and 35. I attract people from the personal development/self help community, enlightenment seekers, new agers, philosophy buffs, and a few others. So, you want to keep your audience in mind. I would guess that the target audience for your channel would be predominantly male and between the ages of 19 and 35 as well. You'll probably attract entrepreneurs, personal development/self help community, college students, bookworms, people trying to pick themselves up out of sub-optimal situations, and several others.

So, given this prediction, be sure that you stand out within the limits of these markets. So, keeping your colors more neutral or toned down is a good idea. Think about the color scheme of the inside of Barnes and Noble. I get sort of a hip, intellectual feel from that experience of being there. I think this could work well for your branding... but there could be other angles too. 

As for taglines, I like the idea of "more wisdom in less time" but it isn't very catchy. How about "wisdom in minutes" or "fast insights for success" or "5 minutes of mastery" or "stepping stones on the path of life mastery" or some other combination of these ideas. Maybe you could call your channel something like "The Bag of Tricks" or something cheeky like that to make it stand out more. Feel free to use any of these or toss them out... I'm just brainstorming. :D 

Is that what you're currently doing in your videos? Recording yourself reading off a script, and then shooting? 

Yes, I'd like to hit viewers between ages 18 and 35, who are interested in optimizing their lives in small increments over a long period of time. Bookworms, entrepreneurs, self-actualizers etc. as you say :) 

Would you recommend to tone down the blue color I currently use for my logo, to a darker blue? Other than that, my t-shirt was a bit of a "failure" (since I read in The Charisma Myth that people get tired of looking at orange quickly), but I've learned not to do that for later!

Again, thank you for your feedback, AND your suggestions. I especially like the "Stepping stones on the path of life mastery"-style tag-line! :D

1 hour ago, Frode said:

Is that what you're currently doing in your videos? Recording yourself reading off a script, and then shooting? 

Yes, I'd like to hit viewers between ages 18 and 35, who are interested in optimizing their lives in small increments over a long period of time. Bookworms, entrepreneurs, self-actualizers etc. as you say :) 

Would you recommend to tone down the blue color I currently use for my logo, to a darker blue? Other than that, my t-shirt was a bit of a "failure" (since I read in The Charisma Myth that people get tired of looking at orange quickly), but I've learned not to do that for later!

Again, thank you for your feedback, AND your suggestions. I especially like the "Stepping stones on the path of life mastery"-style tag-line! :D

You're welcome!

When I write my videos, I create a fairly detailed sloppy outline to make sure that I don't miss anything. I organize it in a logical way in sections. Normally I start with all my definitions and explanation. Then I add my interpretations and experiences or other types of information that's helpful. Then I usually end with a process or way to apply the insights. But I have these large sections. Then I cut them down into smaller sub-points. The sub-points, I don't memorize but I have them on an outline so I don't forget to talk about them. But when I do talk about them, I talk about them off the cuff and nonchalantly. I don't read it directly off the script. If I miss something, that's okay. My videos are longer, so I don't memorize them before-hand. I just make sure that I talk about things that I know well. Or if there's an aspect that I don't know as well, like another person's quote or theory, I just research it and memorize it before-hand and record and re-record until I'm able to convey it properly. I have cuts in my videos, so this works out okay. 

I think the blue color is good for your logo. Darker may work even better though because it will translate better to black and white. I think blue would be a good color to use in general though... as long as it isn't electric/neon blue or paired with too many other colors. 

Emotionalmastery.org

19 hours ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

Pros:

- I can tell you have a naturally vibrant personality, and lots of people look for this in a motivational speaker

- Great positive message

- You could easily brand yourself and your channel if you capitalize upon your uniqueness. You stand out. I remember you from a year ago. :D

Suggestions:

- I can tell that your delivery style is influenced a lot by Ralph Smart. You should really try to analyze your personality and capitalize upon it in your presentation. Otherwise, it's easy to fall into the trap of taking on the traits of your favorite Youtubers. For example, Leo has been a major influence of mine, but I try to undertone that as much as possible (with the exception of the use of crazy thumbnails :D). So, I even avoid mannerisms and speech patterns that I would normally use, to set myself aside. Like, I use the word "counter-intuitive" ALL the time in life. But I never use it in my videos because it's one of Leo's buzzwords. hehe. I'll choose a word like paradoxical instead. So, I would recommend analyzing your personality and strategizing a way to share yourself naturally and authentically, while still being engaging, and avoiding sounding like your influences.

- You'll want to choose a more memorable background with a personality that fits your content. It's an important part of branding.

19 hours ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

Pros:

- Great positive message

Suggestions:

Thank you for the response Emerald and taking your time to write this. I really appreciate it. Im wondering what background you think would suit my content?  I thought I had that aspect covered but maybe not so much ;)

Yeah I do share similarities to Ralph Smart and his style although one thing I try to do is be more direct and practical then him. Good advice though I'll try my best to not take too much from them.

I'd say you stand out pretty well so no need to worry about being too much like Leo :)

Looking forward to your next video by the way.

Edited by Live Life Liam

14 hours ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

You're welcome!

When I write my videos, I create a fairly detailed sloppy outline to make sure that I don't miss anything. I organize it in a logical way in sections. Normally I start with all my definitions and explanation. Then I add my interpretations and experiences or other types of information that's helpful. Then I usually end with a process or way to apply the insights. But I have these large sections. Then I cut them down into smaller sub-points. The sub-points, I don't memorize but I have them on an outline so I don't forget to talk about them. But when I do talk about them, I talk about them off the cuff and nonchalantly. I don't read it directly off the script. If I miss something, that's okay. My videos are longer, so I don't memorize them before-hand. I just make sure that I talk about things that I know well. Or if there's an aspect that I don't know as well, like another person's quote or theory, I just research it and memorize it before-hand and record and re-record until I'm able to convey it properly. I have cuts in my videos, so this works out okay. 

I think the blue color is good for your logo. Darker may work even better though because it will translate better to black and white. I think blue would be a good color to use in general though... as long as it isn't electric/neon blue or paired with too many other colors. 

Ahh, so you're kind of using a structure of "explanation/definition --> own experiences/other relevant information --> clear action steps"? 

I like the idea of cutting down large sections into smaller sub-points, since I actually write blog posts on the ideas in more detail before I record. I'll try doing the same as you, and see how it works out! 

And yes, I really liked the color blue, and will consider a darker color for my next (and more serious) launch of logo and new name. :)