Daryn

Float Tanks

7 posts in this topic

Hello All - Just curious if anyone on the forum has experience with float or sensory deprivation tanks.  I tried yesterday for the first time.  Fabulous experience.  

I did it for the first time today...excellent experience. I got a membership so I will be going twice a month for an hour each time.

Can you describe the experience for those of us who don't know? How similar are the states that are induced in the tank in comparison to say meditation? 

18 hours ago, CosmicTrekker said:

Can you describe the experience for those of us who don't know? How similar are the states that are induced in the tank in comparison to say meditation? 

I go into the experience the same way as I do with a strong determination sitting meditation. I put earplugs in, lay down in the tank, it gets pitch black, and I set the intention to not consciously move for the whole hour. Some interesting things started happening: I felt a few rushes of dopamine that made me smile and laugh a little bit at one point; for about 1 to 2 seconds I lost awareness of having a body to some extent, which was pretty cool; and I just laid with whatever was arising in conscious experience and just allowed myself to feel everything fully and not resist anything. I went into it with complete indifference--not expecting anything good or bad to happen. And that's how I'll go into every future float. My intuition tells me this is going to be a good habit--floating about twice a month. 

I felt great after the float--relaxed, clear-minded, and was ready to eat some food :)

The effects of meditation inside the tank is similar to the effects I get from a normal meditation session, but they say every float is different, so who knows what I'll be experiencing in the future :) 

I was in deep meditation and suddenly I felt the weight of someone else pushing me down into the tank.  This wasn't possible because the door locks from the inside and the tank is filled with 7k lbs of salt and 3 ft of water.  There was no way to sink, but it felt real. Can someone who has done this (floating) please explain??

Edited by Bronsoval

@Bronsoval

Just continue to remain open to whatever arises. There are rather strange sensations and feelings (and thoughts) that can arise during meditation. Especially being in an environment like the float tank, where the body/mind is not conditioned to operate in such an environment. That's my take on it, anyway. Nothing to worry about, just keep remaining open to experience.