lettuce

Importance of sleeping well during youth

6 posts in this topic

Hey forum, first post here :)

Out of all habits, I generally don't fuck with sleep too much; 7+ hours a night at 19 and intend to keep going this way throughout life.

Should I give up a few hours while I can afford it or will this habit pay dividends to health later on?

Probably not many sleep scientists on here, but I'd love any good pointers you can throw at me.

There's nothing wrong with seven hours a night. As long as you feel it's working for you it's perfectly in norm.

If you feel like reading up on that I can refer you to some sources.

@JohnnyAb Sorry, what I meant was up to the point that my hormones start dipping and I physically need those 8 hours to function properly, does it even matter much if I sleep 7 or 5h a night consistently?

19 minutes ago, lettuce said:

@JohnnyAb Sorry, what I meant was up to the point that my hormones start dipping and I physically need those 8 hours to function properly, does it even matter much if I sleep 7 or 5h a night consistently?

Well it's gonna matter when you start feeling like shit.

If that's long term effects what you're after it can affect your growth and some brain development. While you're not gonna grow higher after you stop growing, you can still develop your brain in the older age.

So important and something I wish I had done better in my teens and early 20s. I am 25 now... I spent a lot of nights late working on my life purpose after work and it maybe even contributed to my current tinnitus issues. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Don't give up on your sleep. Your brain is evolving and reshaping when you sleep. Humans are the only living species that deliberately cut sleep short....often with catastrophic consequences

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus