Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pramit

Irrational Fear Lurking In Shadows And Open Spaces

5 posts in this topic

I am afraid of ghosts and imaginary beings. Today i was forced to wake up from pleasant sleep once i saw a shadow transform into a ghost with two swords. I can only sleep in my room which is small and closed. If the door of my room is open, i cannot sleep, because i keep imagining that there is someone else in the house, and i fear that. Please give me advice on how to control my reaction to this fear. 

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

I would suggest to become more aware of how you are creating this problem. You said "irrational fear" so you know that this fear doesn't make sense. You need to become aware that it's all in your head. Besides that, if yo wake up in the middle of the night and you have this fear, maybe you should focus on something positive and stop imagining some fearful thoughts. You need to tell to yourself that it's your room and you are safe here.

Start to become aware of your fear ;) 

Plus, if it doesn't help maybe you should take advice from a psychologist, but I think you are capable of curing it on your own, I hope everything will be fine, good luck! :) 

4 minutes ago, Kuba said:

I would suggest to become more aware of how you are creating this problem. You said "irrational fear" so you know that this fear doesn't make sense. You need to become aware that it's all in your head. Besides that, if yo wake up in the middle of the night and you have this fear, maybe you should focus on something positive and stop imagining some fearful thoughts. You need to tell to yourself that it's your room and you are safe here.

Start to become aware of your fear ;) 

Plus, if it doesn't help maybe you should take advice from a psychologist, but I think you are capable of curing it on your own, I hope everything will be fine, good luck! :) 

thanks for replying. Rationalizing and being aware of it has not helped me so far. Even mental imagery of being stronger than what i fear, or thinking about what would actually happen if i come into contact with the object of my fear, does not help. 

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

50 minutes ago, Pramit said:

thanks for replying. Rationalizing and being aware of it has not helped me so far. Even mental imagery of being stronger than what i fear, or thinking about what would actually happen if i come into contact with the object of my fear, does not help. 

I would take the stand against it and really have a word with yourself - I can tell you now that this is not true, because I had the same problem and it's just down to what you feed your mind with. Horror films? Fantasy films? Conspiracy theories? All those things have a considerable impact on your experience. Take the hard approach on yourself and chastise the stupidness of these ideas. I advise to stop consuming those kinds of things from now on. 

Edited by kurt