Sagar Takker

Discover Jed McKenna like side of Sadhguru

6 posts in this topic

I had a strong opinion of Sadhguru as someone who was putting out more of spiritual entertainment content and talking less about the path (teachings, practices etc.). While I would still stick to this opinion, I discovered a whole different side of Sadhguru recently.

In November, I went through Inner Engineering Online. While this is a very basic program (covers some very basic principles), it gave a peek into the practical aspect of Sadhguru's 'true teachings.'

Last Sunday, I took part in initiation into Shambhavi Mahamudra. It's a Kriya Yoga technique. I have gone through Leo's recommended books on Kriya Yoga. Shambhavi Mahamudra incorporates the same basic techniques to form a more or less similar practice as shared in those books.

Yesterday, I subscribed to Sadhguru Exclusive (a feature on Sadhguru app) in which they share content which I would say is meant for 'serious seekers.' There, he is more into talking straight, much like Jed McKenna, but a little more compassionate and tactful.

I am still in the initial phase of seeing this side of him. So I am not holding any conclusions tightly. In any case, I recognise that becoming a blind follower can be detrimental, yet being too skeptic is not very beneficial either.

How does it compare to the Kriya books on leos book list? Those books teach all the strongest techniques

On 13.1.2021 at 9:59 AM, Sagar Takker said:

I took part in initiation into Shambhavi Mahamudra

Interesting. Was it a simple explanation of the technique + group meditations, or were energetic transmissions also involved?

It was explanation and practice of the technique. I am not sure about energetic transmissions part; there was nothing of that sort at least in a conspicuous way.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:25 PM, herghly said:

How does it compare to the Kriya books on leos book list? Those books teach all the strongest techniques

The Kriya technique shared in the book on Leo's list has more or less the same components as Shambhavi Mahamudra. The breathwork and other processes involved in both are similar.

Edited by Sagar Takker

I didn't find the Shambavi to be all that great. I practiced it for 4 months. 

I've heard others sing praises of it, though. I'm not sure if they're just biased towards Sadhguru, or if the technique genuinely helped them.