rnd

How do you organize your notes in OneNote?

4 posts in this topic

I'm aware that it's up to an individual, but I want to know different opinions also and perhaps it'll allow me to organize my notes better.

How many notebooks, and what are they? Tabs in each? A new page every day in "main -> journal" or what?

I am probably going to disappoint you with this answer, but yes it is all completely personal. You have to design a system that works in perfect alignment with the way your super idiosyncratic mind functions. 

Perhaps I am not a good example since I get overwhelmed by organzing and planning very fast, but it took me 4 months to get a basic outline of how I wanted stuff to work and function in my commonplace book. Every day, I still think about adjustments and fleshing it out further. The thing you want to design is basically an extension of your mind, a second brain. Although asking someone else for some basic tips on how to start might be a good thing, expect to really have to sink many hours into thinking about and setting up this whole thing.

As for my book, I use Roam Research. I chose it because OneNote didn't work the way I preferred. 

For my basic categories I have it set up like this:

• Me
  • Visions
  • Contemplations
  • ---
  • Projects
  • Areas of Life
  • Personal Wikipedia 
  • ---
  • Weekgoals
  • Unplanned tasks
  • Appointments
  • Logging books

Hope that gives you some ideas and ground to stand on.

Good luck

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

4 hours ago, Max_V said:

I am probably going to disappoint you with this answer, but yes it is all completely personal. You have to design a system that works in perfect alignment with the way your super idiosyncratic mind functions. 

Why disappoint? I've said precisely that in my question.

@rnd Oh, you’re right. Read over your post while being tired, apologies. 

Hope what I said is still valuable to you 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus