Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sreco

How to do meditation with back pain

4 posts in this topic

I have problems with lower back pain. If I sit in meditation then it gets worse, since some muscles get really tight. It is not that it hurts me during meditation, but after that my back can be hurting for few days, especially if there is other stuff I had to do. I do meditations laying down mostly, but as you can imagine I fall into sleep if I get too deep.

Please suggest what are possible solutions.

I recommend doing basic Hatha Yoga Asanas to get stronger back muscles (Google: 12 basic hatha yoga poses). Start with doing 6-12 surya namaskar (sun salutation) to warm up your body and then start doing the basic hatha poses. It wont take much time but the benefits are great. It also helps you to relax your muscles. You can also meditate sitting in a chair or against the wall. After doing a couple asanas you also wont fall asleep so easily while lying down. Hip/back flexibility is important. If you cant sit with a straight back, sitting on a pillow can help. Adjust it wedge-shaped so that your butt gets a bit higher than the knees.

Edited by AcaciaConfusa

See a chiropractor. Take care of your body first. 

Edited by Tanz

On 12/1/2020 at 10:16 AM, Sreco said:

I have problems with lower back pain. If I sit in meditation then it gets worse, since some muscles get really tight. It is not that it hurts me during meditation, but after that my back can be hurting for few days, especially if there is other stuff I had to do. I do meditations laying down mostly, but as you can imagine I fall into sleep if I get too deep.

Please suggest what are possible solutions.

Can you sit on a chair? Or a couch? You don't have to sit cross legged. 

Or maybe walking meditation. That does wonders for keeping you aware the whole time.