Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BornToBoil

Is it worth trying to help a developing country to grow?

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a question that has been bugging me for a while now. Is going back to the country of your origin and trying to facilitate its growth and development worth it? I am Ukrainian, but currently live in Poland with my parents (we moved here when I was 14). I am 20 years old so I spend a lot of time thinking about what I am going to with my life.  Sometimes I have a desire to go back to Ukraine, start some business here, contribute to the society, help it to grow and transform, etc., but then I watch some Ukrainian news and think to myself that this country is hopeless and that only time can change it, and that I will just waste my life going back there. Just to clarify, I don't want to be a politician or some government official, by helping the country I mostly mean being socially active citizen, creating a business that contribute to society, and stuff like that.

I have read some of Leo's blog and forum posts in the past where he tells people to move to developed countries to be able to fully realize their potential. Self-actualization work is an important part of my life and when I am trying to envision my future life it's definitely one of the top priorities.

Sometimes the only thing you have to doubt is your own common sense

Lol of course or they will turn into black holes. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Preety_India I don't get it, sorry, haha. What do you mean? Or was it supposed to be a joke? 

15 minutes ago, BornToBoil said:

@Preety_India I don't get it, sorry, haha. What do you mean? Or was it supposed to be a joke? 

I liken the term black hole to a situation where it seems that the system is degrading and gradually progressing to total degradation and disaster. Also such a system then becomes a misery pit and it sucks in anyone who gets into this system. Thus it perpetuates the cycle of victimhood and anyone born in such a system becomes its victim. I call such a system a black hole. 

I think that when you simply leave countries or places or communities how they are without putting active effort to change them, maybe down the road they turn into black holes after continual neglect. 

So in my opinion anyone and everyone should work hard to change the conditions of the country for the better instead of waiting for time. Maybe with time things might get worse and there might be a point of no return. 

@Preety_India thanks for the explanation. You have a valid point. Actually Ukraine faces a huge emigration crisis right now. Literally millions of people have left the country during the last 6 years. And obviously it's bad for the country.

However, I don't agree that everyone should work hard to make their country a better place. I think it's an individual choice wether a person wants to get involved with all that mess or they just want to create a good life for themselves. Especially since you won't get any gratitude in return for genuinely trying to change things for better.

Personally I would like to help my country, I honestly care about its well being and would like to see it change and prosper. But, unfortunately, more often then not, after I immerse myself into the Ukrainian media life, culture, news, politics, etc., I endup being completely disgusted both with the majority of people and politicians. And wonder why should I spend my life trying to help those retards out when there are lots of other problems in the world that I could be solving and people who I could be helping. 

@BornToBoil  that's a valid point too. But imagine someone who is not fortunate enough to get out of that country. How are they supposed to manage if the conditions get worse with time? 

Eventually I feel like people suffer in large numbers in such countries. Someone has to do something about it. Some help is needed. And someone should provide that help. 

Also it's the most difficult places that require the most help. It's the most difficult problems that need the first attention. 

Because with problems there is always an upward mobility and a downward mobility. Either it gets solved or it gets worse. 

A problem that gets worse ends in disaster. 

@Preety_India I think that you are right. Thanks for your responses!

If you are in a stable position with the ability to help, do as you wish. Do you feel a sense of obligation, or is it something you want to do and are passionate about?

If you aren’t in a stable position, work on yourself instead.

@Willie No I have no ability to help rn, and I know that I have to work on myself a lot first. I am just currently in the process of looking for my purpose and creating a vision for my life, so that's why I am thinking about it.

No I don't feel like I have any obligation towards my country or its people. I just wish I could be proud of my country. And I find appealing the idea of contributing to it becoming that way.

Edited by BornToBoil