acurefornihilism

Is cultural appropriation really a problem?

6 posts in this topic

Is cultural appropriation really a problem? To me it looks small-minded and a bit childish to even care if some rich white lady has cornrows or not. I believe in treating people kindly and respecting and other's cultures and customs, but this type of thing has always felt a bit like "walking on eggshells" to me.

Is it only a result of all the racial tension or does it actually have some value or a point to it other than to keep people from freaking out?

Being considerate is usually the right thing to do but the real point of idpol is of course to divide and rule.

It is a novel idea that is on the chopping block of the collective consciousness atm.

The best way would be to take it away from the post modern bubble and see how and which parts stand and play together with other perspectives.

Sadly enough what I see now is that the practical proponents of it are locked in a bubble and are not willing to get out, the ones attacking it are doing exactly the same. Its still too early to say anything, its an idea that is in its juvenile phase, so the mess is to be expected.

We'll see how will it turn out in a decade of two. 

The only people I know to care about cultural appropriation is american white people (Not to confuse appropriation with white washing, which is pretty gross)

I can see a problem if someone wears a great indian feather hat WHILE KNOWING its origin and purpose in native american culture, but I dont see a problem when someone wears it out of ignorance.

Oh, by the way. If you want to laugh your ass off, google "If you are a white person, you cant speak spanish". Its the funniest shit ever!

I understad why some cultures might feel ofended and it's a conscious attitude to put oneself in their shoes and be comprehensive and respectful.

But in practice cultural blendings and transformations are natural and inevitable. I mean, should cultural costumes have copyrights or what? 

Edited by Fran11

Much of the English language is a product of 'borrowing' from other languages and traditions, including those decimated by colonial violence, but here we are.

Blackface was one of the more extreme historical examples of cultural appropriation, and had the effect of reducing African Americans to a sub-human, laughable parody. This also coincided with the rise of the KKK to the mainstream around the same time. Opposing such extreme expressions is appropriate as there's a direct link to the evils of dehumanisation.

On the other hand, I used to know a group of young white people who were madly in love with Rastafarianism and presented themselves accordingly. I feel it would be cruel to try to shame them for being passionate members of a movement but having the 'wrong' ethnicity. When leftists go too far like that, it gives the perfect fodder for right-wing 'free speech' or 'anti-white racism' propaganda, which will be used for genuinely destructive purposes against minorities. The left still hasn't learned not to let perfect be the enemy of good.