Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Claymoree

Old Testament

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why Old Testament is considered part of Christianity when it was before birth of Jesus and Jesus did not talk , or even have really anything in common with it. 

Jesus was Jewish and the OT was a large part of what the earliest Christians would have believed. So it's a useful sourcebook for Christians. It's as simple as that. The only trouble was: what to include or exclude from the collection?

Some of the stuff in the NT is only tangentially related to Jesus as well.

50 minutes ago, commie said:

Jesus was Jewish and the OT was a large part of what the earliest Christians would have believed. So it's a useful sourcebook for Christians. It's as simple as that. The only trouble was: what to include or exclude from the collection?

Some of the stuff in the NT is only tangentially related to Jesus as well.

Basically New Testament is mad up?

what you make of this line 

Then the LORD God said, "See, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever

Why is it reffering to one of us and it is  not only place he says it

Some of the OT comes from a polytheist context and I can't read Hebrew but I suppose the plural could also be intended to distinguish between heavenly beings and humans. Even though my ancient Greek is worse than terrible, I can read a few related languages so I guess I could try to take a look at the LXX to see what it says exactly if there was no expert take on the Internet (which would be surprising). Did you try to look this up?

The NT like the OT is a collection of texts, hence made up in a sense. The NT has many authors but IIRC much of the Roman Bible's OT was written by (or under the direction of) Saint Jerome based in part of lost sources. But it was all pretty closely based on a then extant tradition, hence not made up in another sense.

Edited by commie

12 minutes ago, commie said:

Some of the OT comes from a polytheist context and I can't read Hebrew but I suppose the plural could also be intended to distinguish between heavenly beings and humans. Even though my ancient Greek is worse than terrible, I can read a few related languages so I guess I could try to take a look at the LXX to see what it says exactly if there was no expert take on the Internet (which would be surprising). Did you try to look this up?

The NT like the OT is a collection of texts, hence made up in a sense. The NT has many authors but IIRC much of the Roman Bible's OT was written by (or under the direction of) Saint Jerome based in part of lost sources. But it was all pretty closely based on a then extant tradition, hence not made up in another sense.

Well  there is theory of it being holy trinity, or angels. 

Thank you for help , it was very informative. 

@Claymoree The Old Testament books contains prophecies about Jesus, starting right off from Moses in the book of Deuteronomy chapter 18 verse 15:

"The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;"

And you'll see a bunch of prophecies on Jesus in the book of Psalms and Isaiah.

Then in the New Testament, Jesus's teachings basically makes reference to most of the books in the Old Testament. This is mostly because Jesus was preaching in Israel and so he based his teachings on the Jewish culture. So studying the Old Testament would help to understand some parts of the New Testament, but I do agree if some people think the New and Old Testaments were talking about very different things. This is because the last book in the Old Testament is over 400 years away from when Jesus was born, and so people sort of lived in a different era. Jesus also preached the true meaning of the Old Testament, which blew people's minds away so much that he got crucified in the end.