Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Monk

Can't Let Go Of Video Games?

4 posts in this topic

I'm initially scared of letting go of video games. I have tried many things to change other things such as, my diet, my work ethic, my internet browsing addiction etc. But, the fact is I'm scared of letting go of Video Games.  As, I would consider myself a strategic motherducker (quack! it had to be done) :D I think into the future a lot contemplating what I want before my untimely death; but as a high school student I see everyone around me playing video games and don't see what to replace this bad habit with. And, I have the feeling that if I do replace it I will feel empty and not having an exciting and fulfilling life, by the time of my death and that's why I have made it an 'exception' to not get rid of or try to get rid of on purpose. 

Help? :/ 

"It is YOU that must change for all else to change." - Me.

If you give it up it is very possible that you feel empty. But that doesn't have to be a bad thing. It could be this very emptiness that you try to cover by video games. So depending on what your goals are you could either replace it or just be with that emptiness. Leo describes this in his episode about addiction. Also having friends who don't play might be a good thing.

I myself struggled with video games. For me it was a means to escape a feeling of incompletness and emptiness and try to get away of the present moment. You have to decide for yourself if it is something like this. I would call it a distraction from more important things but it doesn't have to be the same for you.

Also can a fullfilling life come from the pleasure and excitement of a video game? Or doesn't also pain arise from there because you are always on the hunt for the next exciting or pleasurable thing, the next dopamin hit? Can you still enjoy this very moment or is your mind occupied with the game and craves it if you can not play? If so is this fullfilling? Think how this is for you.

Edited by ZenMonkey

"The death of the mind is the birth of wisdom." -- Nisargadatta Maharaj

Take your console and all your games to the nearest Goodwill and consider it the biggest favor you've ever done for yourself :)

If you're scared about dropping gaming, it is a big red sign of "things that hold me back from greatness".

You gotta be strategic about this though. Do you have huge unhealthy habits ? Smoking, junk food, no sport habit, anger/depression/anguish issues ? 

If yes, you gotta erase each one of them first (watch the "how to stop backsliding" and the "40 signs that you are neurotic" videos from Leo).

Gaming isn't that bad, I mean, it is still a huge waste of time (the sole purpose of gaming is to be distracted after all ...), but getting rid of the other points are more important, because if you don't, you'll never EVER be able to be in a state to get rid of these "medium-unhealthy habits".