rachz89

Can Running Be The Cause Of Varicose Vein?

3 posts in this topic

What are the main causes of varicose vein? My sister loves to run and she used to practice it daily. Recently she started complaining about pain in legs. She says it hurts her whenever she runs. First I thought it might be because of muscle contraction and I asked her to take rest for a while and when she runs again it's still the same. I saw swelled veins on her legs and I think it is varicose vein. We have no family history of varicose vein. I have scheduled an appointment with a surgeon from a clinic in Toronto for varicose veins treatment. She is 23 years old. Is it possible to have varicose vein at this age? What may be the reason for it? Can running be the cause of her varicose vein?    

I dont think running is the cause.

I know 2 reasons : 1.obesity 

2. Standing up for several hours.

Whenever you five pressure varicose veins appear. Its a condition and can be treatened. Surgery is the certain method but she can use tight socks or something if the problem is small.

It can definitely be the cause. The problem is that most people use the wrong form when running. They're heel dominant and smash their joints because sneakers and shoes reduce your intuitive feel of bouncing correctly off the ground. Also, pavement is another issue. If she's doing it daily, I presume for about 30-60 minutes, then it will have a negative effect on the body. Slow cardio is actually far less superior than high intensity interval training. It's a lot healthier and you can achieve more results with less time. Cardio is simply addictive because of BDNF. You like to run because of the dopamine rush you get not because of the activity itself, unless you do some sort of chi-running. 

I would advise her to take a few days off running. She's probably built up too much tension in her calves. Does she do other restorative type of training, such as yoga and mobility? Also, she probably needs to do foam rolling, cold therapy and get some more electrolytes.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w