lmfao

Should meditation avoid over-breathing?

1 post in this topic

I've been skim reading this book "The Oxygen Advantage". Been reading it a lot. I'm a mouth breather and have been trying to change that, noticing some good effects of it in just a few days. Someone here made a good thread a while back it seems. 

To breathe more than necessary reduces carbon dioxide concentration, which throws your body out of whack. I.e. Bohr effect and oxygen not unloading in your tissues, pH of body, arterial constriction, etc. Essentially, a lot of us have the problem of chronically low carbon dioxide concentration in blood. Our body develops a low tolerance for CO2, and so we over-breathe due to this low tolerance. (Humans in nature don't have this problem so much, modern lifestyle and things like processed foods, diary and etc are thought to increase the risk of overbreathing, according to this book).

The name of the game then is to gradually develop tolerance for CO2. Which the book describes. First step is just nasal breathing 24/7, there are also some exercises given in the book. Book is a very easy and simple read, my eyes just flow through it quickly. Normally I'm a slow reader but book is simple. 
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, I'm making this thread because I don't know how many meditation or yoga practitioners are aware of the pandemic of over-breathing. And I'm trying to figure out how to reconcile or practice kriya yoga in the light of all this. So if anyone here is a real breath expert or has thought about optimal breathing during meditation, state your general thoughts in this area. 

I'm trying to stop even wasteful yawning and sighing during the day

I'll breathe more slowly, not any less deeply, and see what happens. With such a linear problem. 
----
Oh yeah, breathing with your mouth and upper chest is associated with fight or flight circuits in your body, so that's a source of stress. For those that don't know. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.