Michael569

Proper Sitting During Meditation? What Works For You?

6 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, 

I was wondering what seating posture do you find most beneficial / tolerable while meditating? 

I have only been meditating for a month but usually am struggling with proper seating. While I am not flexible enough to to do full or even half lotus for longer period. I always lean my back on the wall and sort of fold my legs with knees sticking out on right and left ( similar to lotus, no idea what it's called in English). Even with this, it gets itchy and uncomfortableafter a while and I am finding it hard to detach myself from the pain when meditating. 

Sitting with legs straight makes me sleepy :D

Any suggestions what works for you? Thanks :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I just sit, in a normal sitting position but keeping my back straight and my hands resting on my thighs. At home I'll sit on the edge of the bed, but I find sitting anywhere works. Generally need my feet on the floor though as the pressure on the back of my thighs causes pain and discomfort at times.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

@Michael569 I usually sit in a bound angle pose. This is to stretch my crotch in training for the lotus position. The pain that comes with it I use it to focus. Focus on the pain. Dive into the pain as Shinzen Young explains in one of his video's. When I don't feel like having pain, I sit on a chair with my back straight. I think having your spine straight is most important to not fall asleep.

Try sitting in a normal chair (with back straight) or supported Hero pose (Virasana).

I sit in half lotus usually, which is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally comfy.

try the burmese, its easy and locks you in position

burmeseposition.jpg

"I gently pushed my hand into my pocket and pulled the last one out, it trembled at first and clung to my hand. "Go on, it will be ok," I whispered. Encouraged, it flexed its wings and I knew the time was right. It flew up towards the blue, blue sky and I looked proudly as it's made its way to freedom. The last of my fucks was finally given."

Thank you all for great suggestions !

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus