Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Preety_India

Ichthyology and Oceanography Study Journal

14 posts in this topic

I am a Pisces. I was always fascinated by fishes. 

The whole marine world is too exciting to me. 

I want to document my exploration of the marine world. 

My dad gifted me a large aquarium when I was 12 years old as a birthday gift. 

Since my dad passed away, I have developed a sentimental connection with fishes. 

I will be documenting in this journal the fascinating world of the oceans and the seas 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I begin with the damsel fish 

47o30x.jpg

Many species live in tropical rocky or coral reefs, and many of those are kept as marine aquarium pets. Their diets include small crustaceans, plankton, and algae. However, a few live in fresh and brackish waters, such as the freshwater damselfish, or in warm temperate climates, such as the large orange Garibaldi, which inhabits the coast of southern California and the Pacific Mexican coast. 

They can grow up to 36 cms. 

my family had a fish tank too, kinda unavoidable with so many fish (pisces) LOL, even when we didn't plan on having one we would have to "watch" a friends fish until they never requested it back after vacation xD

The most vivid experience camping on the beach as a kid, grabbed a fish right out of the water and ran onto the beach to show my dad, ran back with it like fuck i don't want this guy to die...yet i was so surprised i could actually catch one ;) 

Edited by DrewNows

@DrewNows  cool. 

I caught a fish once when I was 13 at the beach. It was kinda struggling between my hands and then I let it go. I didn't want it to die. 

But I caught some more and later kept them in a small dish to just watch them in the water and later released them back. 

When you need a good laugh :P

Well it gets kinda real (serious) tbh lol

Edited by DrewNows

The black sea bream, also known as a Porgy, is an omnivorous fish, eating seaweeds and small invertebrates.
They are a warmer water species and found mainly around the south and west coasts of the UK. Black sea bream breed in UK seas between April and May. During the breeding season, the males change colour, becoming darker with vertical white bars. The females have a long horizontal white bar on their body when ready to lay her eggs. The males excavate a small shallow in the seabed, moving the gravel or sand around the edge to create a sort of crater into which the female lays her eggs. The male then protects the eggs until they hatch. He will fan them with his tail to keep them clear of sand or debris and wards off hungry predators, including smaller bream, wrasse and even whelks!

A large silvery fish, with an oval shape. Shaded bands running along the length of the upper flanks. It has a long single dorsal and anal fin and a small mouth. The tail is large and forked displaying a black band on it, most obviously noticeable on juveniles.
Juveniles usually have numerous broken yellow stripes running along the body.
Spawning males are nearly completely black in colour, except for vertical white bars.

Distribution

Found off south west Britain the Irish Sea and the English Channel.

Habitats

All black sea breams are born female! They are protogynous hermaphrodites - meaning they are able change to males when they reach 30cm. All fish over 40cm are male.

wildlifetrusts_40330196268.jpg?h=cc2a8ae

Moon Wrasse 

47tzyl.jpg

The moon wrasse (Thalassoma lunare) also known as the cresent wrasse or lyretail wrasse, is a species of wrasse native to the Indian Ocean and the western Pacific Ocean. It is an inhabitant of coral reefs and surrounding areas at depths from 1 to 20 m (3.3 to 65.6 ft). Moon wrasses are carnivorous and tend to prey on fish eggs and small sea-floor dwelling invertebrates. This species can reach 45 cm (18 in) in total length. It is of minor importance to local commercial fisheries and can also be found in the aquarium trade.

Edited by Preety_India

Some more marine creatures I'm going to discuss 

Zebra crab 

Snowflake moray eel

Whitemouth moray 

Oriental Flying Gurnard 

Fingered Dragonet 

Morrisons Dragonet 

Mandarin fish