Jelly_Shades

Would Like A Better Grasp Of What Awareness And The Ego Really Is.

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys. 

I have a suspicion that I could have a better understanding of awareness and the ego than I already have right now. Know of any books (for example) that could give deeper insights on these so that I have a better idea of what I am looking for? I do 20 minute meditation every day where I detach myself from thoughts and let them pass. Do I just need to keep doing awareness work to understand it better? Please share your own insights. 

Thanks.

Hey bud, know when you are meditating well, and you get to that good place, that still place where you are very 'inner' and calm and you've managed to reduce the chatter of that 'monkey-mind' down to almost inaudible? What if when that's really happening for you, you are in that zone and it's calm, real calm, 'bottom of the ocean compared to the rough wavy surface' kind of calm, you allowed that monkey-mind to rise up just high enough and just loud enough to ask itself a question and be super open for the answer.

What if 'I' was subtracted from this equation. What if whatever it is that feels like it's the monkey mind and all it encompasses, basically 'YOU', was pulled out of this scenario. Removed somehow... maybe, just maaaybe it doesn't exist at all as you've come to understand it for sure since birth. Your mind is still, calm, open, deeply curious and quietly desiring ANY insight so bad... have it ask the right questions and be open for what's left as the 'not so obvious 'til you SEE it', answer...

If 'I', what 'I' have come to believe 'I' am is removed from the equation, what's left....???

Ok, say you logically assume a body and a brain, sitting right there in reality, is what's left if you could somehow remove 'Me'... the mind and all it has constructed from sensory feedback all your life, making up the whole of your experiences and emotions, the sum of all the minds constructed parts combined with your physical body and brain pretty much make up ''you', is just neutralized somehow, taken out of the equation. Gone, disappeared somehow, but there is a physical being with a fleshy brain-thing in it's head sitting there now. The brain works great, still recieves all the input from the senses that the  various aspects of this physical body provide, still processes it as it is physically and quantumly designed to do and paints a picture for the physical body so it doesn't fall off cliffs or burn itself up. Well WTF, we magically removed the 'I', the 'self', the 'ego', whatever you want to call it, BUT THERE IS STILL A CONSCIOUSNESS HERE!

We took the ego out, we took the construct of the mind out of the equation, banished it's illusive awareness that it was a single individual entity based on a lifetime of feedback, out of the equation, and when we were left with a body and brain that was still vibrant, alive, aware and CONSCIOUS, how in the world is it that that consciousness is still there?

Still with me, taking these ideas and questions in for the next time you are in that very still, quiet meditative state? Awesome. 

Ok, crap, where is this consiousness and vibrant life force and awareness that's within this fully functional physical being coming from if we subtracted the mind/ego's constructs and unwavering sense of itself and belief in itself?

Ooooohhhh, hold on just a frickin' minute... is it even remotely possible that this consciousness that is still so obviously there in this physical being   IS. NOT. LOCAL. ....???

Uh oh....