Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Julian

Idea for community-based website of rated techniques to deal with current emotions

3 posts in this topic

Do you know and use apps such as Stop, Breath & Think, or chatbots like Youper?

I like the concept that they suggest you techniques based on your current emotions, especially for ones that are troubling in the moment. 

The techniques they suggest are usually mindfulness meditation or CBT, which have firm scientific routings. 

Likely, if you're like me, you've encountered other self-help techniques as well. Some of them you might have found particularly useful at one point, but do you remember to apply it when you're wrapped up with some thought/emotion? I often get stuck in one frame of mind and forget what helped me out.

At other times, I hear about a promising technique, but I'm uncertain as to whether as has proven to be effective. Surely, there's some bullshit out there. So it would be useful to know what worked for other people.

I'd like to suggest the idea of a website, where, for instance, the user picks from a list of emotions (anxiety, guilt, anger, depression, etc) or possibly something like craving, stuck-on-problem, overthinking... rates the intensity on a SUD scale (0 to 10) and gets a list of self-help techniques suggested, which hopefully have been rated by the community for their effectiveness*, for the user to pick from. 

*(Additional criteria are thinkable as well, such as:

- can I do it in public without looking weird?

- home much time it takes

- if it requires equipment, such as writing equipment, or whatever)

After going through the technique the user would rate his perceived intensity again on a SUD scale. That way it can be known if it helped or not. 

The idea is that as more people try out those techniques, the more data can be collected to assess those techniques for their effectiveness, and the better suggestions the next user will get. 

Community-based/driven would mean that users can add/moderate/edit content. (Perhaps this could be done similar to how Wikipedia or Stackoverflow works).

What do you think about this idea? Would you use it? Do you have any criticism or suggestion? 

Sounds like a great idea, I would use it for sure!

@Julian Thanks a lot for sharing this:

Stop, Breath & Think, or chatbots like Youper

Look inside your soul, maybe you'll find gold there and get rich.