Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yarco

Should your life purpose make you feel happy?

3 posts in this topic

I've gone through the Life Purpose course entirely 2 or 3 times, and the results that I get are always similar and I always come to the same conclusion. I've also done Jordan Peterson's Future Authoring Program so I feel like I know what I don't want, as much as what I do want.

I feel like I've set good, attainable goals based around my top values, signature strengths, high-consciousness virtues, and ideal medium. I feel like I have a good idea for what my life purpose should be and what I want for my life.

I've even broken it down to specific steps that I need to complete each day to progress toward my goals. But I don't feel like achieving them or working toward them will make me feel happy. I don't know if they even make me feel fulfilled. 

For me, I would describe my life purpose more like a dharma. I feel like I have a duty or obligation to make specific use of my skills and strengths for the world, and that's my purpose in life. But I won't necessarily feel happy or fulfilled doing it.

Is that normal, or is my life purpose out of whack and I should look for something that will make me feel happy and fulfilled?

I'd say do what makes you happy. You don't have any obligation. 

But also, it depends on the reasons why you think you won't feel happy or fulfilled doing your original life purpose. If the idea of following through with this life purpose doesn't at least somewhat excite you, I think it'll be hard to stick with in the long term. 

So the problem is that I can't seem to think of anything that would make me happy.

Not necessarily that I feel particularly depressed or miserable. But if I could picture any dream life for myself, there's nothing I can really think to do for the next 40 years that would be fulfilling and that I'd look back on as a good use of my time.

I went back and watched the "Accept Drudgery" video from the course, and I think that sums up what I'm feeling maybe. Working on what I consider my life purpose is definitely more exciting than what I was doing before, but it's still not a thrillride by any means. There is less resistance than most other things I could be doing instead, but still resistance there.

I guess I expected to feel more motivated and have more energy to pursue it.