The White Belt

How can I have fun and relax and still produce results in my work?

3 posts in this topic

I have this problem. 
It's pretty on going.

I'm an actor. In theory I love what I do, I've been doing it for 5+ years now and been working pretty hard and constant at it. 

The field of acting and actors are just compelling to me. 

Whenever I get a script though, it's like kind of a horrible process. For weeks i'm tense, i'm worried about the outcome, scared I won't be good.

I just need to breathe, relax, and most importantly HAVE FUN. But I feel it's really hard to do that. I need to be good. Really good.

After performances I sometimes cry but I don't feel as though i've performed well enough.

Any help? Tips? Advice? Books to read? Working philosophies?

Thanks! 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

Mastery by George Leonard talks about relaxation when engaged in work. 

I have the same issue, I am always really tense because I am so focused on results. I've become really conscious of it lately, when I was gardening today I could feel the tension of "just wanting to get the task done", and the tension cause by the idea of the thing I was going to do after it. It seems as though it is as simple as surrender, just relax everything, and let go. It will probably come back again, whatever it is, keep relaxing.

Relaxing clearly takes practice, or else we would all be as cool as cucumbers.

What has helped me:

- Watching a studio Ghibli animation, taking my mind completely off of my important (not as a means of procrastination, just chilling out). Media like this is the work of a master, captivating as much as it is entertaining, so it is not a "cheap fix" like watching some click-baiting Youtuber horse around. 

- Angamardhana yoga (this is one of Sadghuru's programs), has helped me with relieving tension in the body. Watch Leo's video on Body Awareness if you haven't already.

Good luck homie

@Mada_ Thanks man! I have Mastery. I'll have another look over it.

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki