Leon Bell

How Long To Meditate For A Beginner?

7 posts in this topic

I recently began watching Leo's videos and started meditating every day.
I've experimented with different times ranging from 5-15 minutes.
I found that the first 10 minutes is when the Ego tries to distract you the most.
After 10 minutes it starts feeling very relaxing and peaceful.
Sometimes I forget that my alarm went off and keep meditating.
I want to hear more opinions from beginners and pros alike.

Leo made a new video for beginners.

Check it out. I think he mentions "20 minutes", you can watch for yourself here:

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Yup, that was the video that got me into meditation.

However it's like an unused muscle.

I couldn't do 20 minutes right off the bat.

So I am looking for what people found to be the sweet spot through actual practice.

Everyone is different. So it would be nice to get some feedback.

You can do 1 hour meditation every Sunday. 

If you have not, check out strong determination sitting. For a beginner it's going to be more struggling with thoughts than mediating but try it.

*the video is called Meditation in Steroids

Edited by Zephyr

Sarcaste <3 the Sarcasm in Me acknowledges and honors the Sarcasm in You 

I started meditating in february 2015. I intended on sitting 20 minutes per day but I only sat for 10 minutes per day the first week. After that I went to 20 minutes, and after that it was 30 minutes. I think I did my first 1 hour sit after about  months.

Hallå

Something kind of unusual happened to me recently while meditating. I was outside, surrounded by nature, animals, nice summer breeze. And it was the first time I was meditating for 20 minutes. Then when I was finished I had difficulty coming back. I was just starring at bugs on the ground, thinking how I am no different from them. I just felt part of everything or like a cog in a big machine. But it was also disconcerting in a way, because I felt like I was losing my own personality. Anybody have similar experiences?

Edited by Leon Bell

3 hours ago, Leon Bell said:

Something kind of unusual happened to me recently while meditating. I was outside, surrounded by nature, animals, nice summer breeze. And it was the first time I was meditating for 20 minutes. Then when I was finished I had difficulty coming back. I was just starring at bugs on the ground, thinking how I am no different from them. I just felt part of everything or like a cog in a big machine. But it was also disconcerting in a way, because I felt like I was losing my own personality. Anybody have similar experiences?

I meditate a lot and I also do walking meditation in nature for about 30-90 minutes per day and it happens like every day. It's like the coolest thing ever! :D 

Hallå