SvanteTheBeast

Mindfullness with labeling

4 posts in this topic

Is mindfullness with labeling the same thing as vippassana meditation?

Yes, pretty much, the difference is that vippassana tends to remain with a single object of observation normally the breath, where as mindfulness your switching the object of attention between your different pathways of see, hearing, feeling. 

Focus on the solution, not the problem

I think to begin with, the labelling is helpful for beginners, but, eventually it’s better to drop the labelling completely as they are still thoughts, and just be aware of whatever it is you are aware of.but then, if the goal is to realise the one who is aware of thoughts, it doesn’t really matter I guess, as long as you realise that.

On 3/21/2020 at 6:32 AM, SvanteTheBeast said:

Is mindfullness with labeling the same thing as vippassana meditation?

Good question! 

I did several 10-day retreats doing Vipassana meditation, also experimented with mindfulness meditations and using mantras.  What I liked about Vipassana meditation was the fact that you just focus on your breathing.  While focusing on the breath you observe your thoughts, ideas, beliefs, feelings and emotions as they appear and recede from the Human Mind Consciousness (Ego) with no attachments.  Eventually the thoughts etc., appear less often and a stillness happens as you become more conscious of the energy within your physical body. 

In my particular case while doing Vipassana meditation I had huge blocks of energy within my body from years of physical abuse from sports and other stupid activities, suppressing my emotions, feelings, not dealing with my dysfunctional unconscious beliefs, destructive behaviour patterns, psychological addictions etc.  Over the course of 50 years my body had contracted and compressed my skeletal structure to the point that I could not sit cross legged, turn my head left or right and I could not kneel or bend over. The compression of my body affected my organs as they were also compressed from the physical muscles, ligaments and fascia contraction, which pushed my organs into unnatural forms and positions that hindered their performance etc.  This then created physical ailments that then lead to surgeries and the pharmaceutical drug treadmill.  What I eventual realized was that I had ignored the signals from the conscious organization that maintains my body’s health, wellbeing, balance, and harmony.

(I know this is somewhat off topic, but I feel it adds to the depth of meditation and how some aspects of consciousness can be obtained from meditation)

The blocked Energy then became my mind struggle as I journeyed into the field of energy that held the structure of my physical body from within.  Hours after hours and day after day I tried to observe the rise and fall of pain that my body held from all the blocked energy.  Eventually I managed to accept the pain and released my mental attachments to them (for lack of better words).  Once I managed to release my mental attachments to the blocks of energy in my physical body, I began to observe a greater depth of beingness.  It was a complete stillness within, I no longer was attached to the physical.  I was no-longer me, but still me as a consciousness.  I was floating in a field of energy and consciousness with no concept of a physical “I” or “Me”.  “I” was sheer bliss, Love and a feeling of being home. 

I could have stayed there forever, but just as I was going deeper into the layers of consciousness, physical reality dragged me back to my body and Human mind Consciousness, when a student tapped me on the shoulder, late in the night, and told me to leave the meditation hall and return to my room.  Go figure!!!

A Student sharing thoughts, ideas, and beliefs!

Edited by DLH