Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
student

Safe to practice kriya yoga while having back problems?

4 posts in this topic

Is it safe to practice kriya yoga if you have some back problems? For example mild scoliosis, kyphosis etc. Are there any dangers that can come with a spine that's not completely straight?

I have scoliosis and slipped disks on the lower back, got this problem about two years ago. It was so painful I had to take very powerful analgesics for a month or so. I started meditating and making different exercise to get stronger muscles to better support my back. I then started with Kriya Yoga last year and slowly increased my sitting times. So far I can do one hour sessions or maybe longer if I change sitting positions in between.

Sometimes I which I could stay seated for longer periods, but my back starts to ache, but so far I feel stronger and I can see that the Kriya Yoga is helping me heal the slipped disks.

Of course you will have to find out for yourself. You could try to to do the exercises slowly and not force yourself  to much and stop doing them in case you get pain.

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

Kryia is likely to help with that a lot IMO.

I like to do deep breathing and hold at the end of my practice. I use the pressure to stretch that spine as much as it will go. Amazing.

Sailing on the ceiling 

Thank you for the responses. For the developing a healthy body I think it's enough to focus for now on the less potent exercises. I'll see how things will go.