IJB063

Boredom is the Solution

28 posts in this topic

"Sooner or later something seems to call us onto a particular path. You may remember this
“something” as a signal calling in childhood when an urge out of nowhere, a fascination, a peculiar
turn of events struck like an annunciation
: This is what I must do, this is what I’ve got to have. This is
who I am...If not this vivid and sure, the call may have been more like gentle pushings in the stream
in which you drifted unknowingly to a particular spot on the bank. Looking back, you sense that fate
had a hand in it.... A calling may be postponed, avoided, intermittently missed. It may also possess
you completely. Whatever; eventually it will out. It makes its claim.... Extraordinary people display
calling most evidently.
Perhaps that’s why they fascinate. Perhaps, too, they are extraordinary
because their calling comes through so clearly and they are so loyal to it.... Extraordinary people
bear the better witness because they show what ordinary mortals simply can’t. We seem to have less
motivation and more distraction.
Yet our destiny is driven by the same universal engine.
Extraordinary people are not a different category; the workings of this engine in them are simply
more transparent...." - James Hillman

On 25/02/2020 at 8:45 PM, IJB063 said:

So my current plan is to gradually start boring myself more, to get that new life state of mind, 

The easiest route is to just question all you think you know. When I last spoke to you I got the impression that you had a need to try to box everything into a large mental framework, otherwise you will loose sight of what's real. Nothing is real - not as a finite philosophical absolute, it's just not real (graspable) it's more interesting and majestic than you can ever get your language based mind around. You might go through a few moments of anxiety/terror but you will come out the end with a new sense of wonder about life and be able to enjoy your own subjectivity, like children do. 

@BETGR164128

1 hour ago, BETGR164128 said:

The easiest route is to just question all you think you know. When I last spoke to you I got the impression that you had a need to try to box everything into a large mental framework, otherwise you will loose sight of what's real. Nothing is real - not as a finite philosophical absolute, it's just not real (graspable) it's more interesting and majestic than you can ever get your language based mind around. You might go through a few moments of anxiety/terror but you will come out the end with a new sense of wonder about life and be able to enjoy your own subjectivity, like children do. 

Ha

This shit again,

Mental frameworks are useful

Questioning all things leads to more complex mental frameworks

Large = Complex

Nothing is real

"I don't know what that means"

Recently I've started reading on existentialism, starting with Arthur Schopenhauer (Not really and existentialist but a huge contributor to the philosophy) so I've read his Essays and Aphorisms and The World as Will and Representation

Now I'm finally starting on Nietzche, I know a bit more on him than the average person and now I'm reading Beyond Good and Evil alongside Mastery by Robert Greene (as a new years aspiration I've been aiming to read a book a week and I have done so since the start of the year) 

At the start of Beyond Good and Evil in the introduction, (let me flip through my notes) Nietzche writes

"It has gradually become clear to me what every great philosophy up till now has consisted of--namely, the confession of its originator, and a species of involuntary and unconscious auto-biography; and moreover that the moral (or immoral) purpose in every philosophy has constituted the true vital germ out of which the entire plant has always grown. Indeed, to understand how the abstrusest metaphysical assertions of a philosopher have been arrived at, it is always well (and wise) to first ask oneself: "What morality do they (or does he) aim at?" Accordingly, I do not believe that an "impulse to knowledge" is the father of philosophy; but that another impulse, here as elsewhere, has only made use of knowledge (and mistaken knowledge!) as an instrument."

get your language based mind around

This instrument (the instrument being the real father to understanding, if there is such a thing, aka the real motivator to understanding, the generally held perception being the motivation to understand the external material world, this perception  makes a lot of metaphysical assumptions) is a tool by which we justify our actions in supposed fact/reality, (Nietzsche believing this is just the actualization of the will to power), and is merely a mental construction or a "language" model. All there is, is direct consciousness, I don't hold thought or mental models in to high of a regard, but they're useful as they clarify my own experience, all thoughts are in a sense just sounds in the mind, its the abstract connections that we make with these sounds that have any significance, and the more connections you make the better you can actualize the will to power, if these connections are some how what really is or just a representation of my own biological imperative, is redundant to the fact that I want something

The real realization of that dichotomy buts into perspective what I think you're getting at, I discuss this fact somewhat when I look at the video Leo did on beating addictions and comparing it to my reading

14:28 "Nature of being itself is emptiness but see most people don't like this idea at first it seems kind of negative and it seems depressing actually it's not it's a very beautiful and incredible experience to fully realize the emptiness of being and to be one with it this is a very profound experiences of what spirituality is based upon but most people aren't mature enough to grasp this" - Leo

The realization that ones mental models are not what is but are just a specific physiology in consciousness 

Also, in a sense, my striving for objectivity (boxing everything in) is subjective for this reason

But I'm not going to just abandon the idea of there being a reality, which as I've said to you before is an idea I don't cling to but you keep associating to me, as it again provides clarity to my experience, I would feel lost without my mental constructions and you would to, the idea that there is no such thing as reality is real and its in your head and its your physiology 

2 hours ago, BETGR164128 said:

like children do. 

When it comes to children, they are just to stupid to be objective, because they lack the capacity to create mental models, they live in a perpetual state of now because of this, similar in many ways to a meditative state, that I talk about in this thread, which is one reason they're in an enviable position, second reason because they have new eyes for the world and have not yet become desensitized to it by being accommodated to it, the entire point of the thread being how to get back to that state, if its the avoidance of gratification/meditation, psychedelics (just watched a video link on the forum of PyschedSubstance talking about why psychedelics can't be addictive when on LSD, which relates to this topic, I'll find and post it here later maybe), or if its questioning things, also being a form of mediation (stoic meditation). It doesn't matter how only the state. I don't really know what my point is, just I don't hold a rigid view of objectivity that you've inferred, the next quote below sums up my opinion on reality

"Metaphysical world.-- It is true, there could be a metaphysical world; the absolute possibility of it is hardly to be disputed. We behold all things through the human head and cannot cut off this head; while the question nonetheless remains what of the world would still be there if one had cut it off." - Friedrich Nietzsche

What I think this means is basically that we are damned to our own subjectivity to the nature of reality, 

2 hours ago, BETGR164128 said:

not as a finite philosophical absolute

But this does not mean there is not a philosophical absolute objectively

Hope this made sense 

2 minutes ago, IJB063 said:

@BETGR164128

Hope this made sense 

I didn't read it. I took one look at the wall of text and went back to my stillness.

Sorry 

@BETGR164128

Ha

Okay

Can see you're bitter about the last argument

That's okay

Enjoy your stillness

I didn't write it just for you, I wrote it for the thread

I didn't what to argue with you again for an hour and a half anyway

Not over do muscles make you more attractive, which you say muscles aren't important

But over is there an objective reality

I see you did break your stillness to write that snarky response quickly though

Godbless

Edited by IJB063

1 minute ago, IJB063 said:

@BETGR164128

Can see you're bitter about the last argument

1 minute ago, IJB063 said:

@BETGR164128

I see you did break you stillness to write that snarky response quickly though

Perhaps it's the believing in these kinds of ideas is the problem? 

8 minutes ago, BETGR164128 said:

Perhaps it's the believing in these kinds of ideas is the problem? 

Sorry, I’m not about to break my stillness with anymore responses 

P.S you argue like a bitch, you write  directly to me, you find my post, then ignore me when I respond, attempting to give me the silent treatment, very feminine 

Edited by IJB063

7 minutes ago, IJB063 said:

Sorry, I’m not about to break my stillness with anymore responses 

P.S you argue like a bitch, you write  directly to me, you find my post, then ignore me when I respond, attempting to give me the silent treatment, very feminine 

There is a lot of meaning in your statement and very little curiosity and wonder.

Can you get a glimpse that this relying too much on the intellect is the problem?