JevinR

How To Create Leverage In Careers

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys, the 48 laws of power are excellent for the business and work world

•  A helpful thing is professional resume writers who write your CV and give you a systematic approach to the job hunt
  • Another thing I learned from RSD is a counter-offer which is lying and telling a possible employer that you have 3 other offers, (it could backfire, but dont focus on that) making you a high value employee that companies will beg you to work for them
  •  another thing is getting your LinkedIn and other networking sites done professionally with head shots, skills and such to get you noticed by potential employers.

I am thinking of hiring an professional interviewer and learning all their interview secrets so I know exactly what the company wants so you can twist the system to your liking, I know that there are a lot of variables in the interview process and the hunt, but do you guys know any other ways to add value to yourself? My purple cow would probably being mastering coding with several languages and working DIY electronics, possibly volunteering to add value to the resume or showcase myself as some kind of "humanitarian philanthropist" , are there other tricks or techniques to learn as an employee? Thank you for reading, some help.

Edited by JevinR
cplus +

@JevinR - Graduate college first. Why are you worrying about professional headshots when you just graduated high school?

@JevinR Have you worked on PERSONAL statements before ? i need suggestion , as I am going to apply for Job 

@Bagoober Because I want a masterplan laid out, people who don't plan their lives are fucking complete failures, why the hell would I waste my summer doing stupid shit like working a job I hate, I want to be the best of the best in my chosen field

I'm working the game inside out, playing the world of jobs like a chess master, planning every move I make. The faster you have your life purpose nailed the fuck down, the happier and more successful/fulfilled I will be as excellence is one of my top noble values. I'm not worrying, I'm planning. Thinking 10-20 years ahead before everything happens. My cousin sister said "You can't plan" I say hell yes you can. I'm negatively motivated, I want a job I love and I'm passionate about along with six-figure payment and to be a top-performer. I don't wanna fuck up or fail. The most important part of life purpose is contribution, but I am still thinking how I can best contribute to society or what is needed?

Edited by JevinR

@jes No, personal statements to do with life purpose? One of Leo's is "Master your psychology".

19 hours ago, JevinR said:

people who don't plan their lives are fucking complete failures

That's not true at all. And stop being so cocky, you're not "playing the world of jobs like a chess master" you don't have a job, you don't have a higher degree yet, and all you do is talk big, put others down, and ignore sound advice. I've seen so many people give you the same, good advice, and you just ignore it and ask the same questions over and over.

On 6/21/2016 at 10:55 PM, JevinR said:

Hey guys, the 48 laws of power are excellent for the business and work world

•  A helpful thing is professional resume writers who write your CV and give you a systematic approach to the job hunt
  • Another thing I learned from RSD is a counter-offer which is lying and telling a possible employer that you have 3 other offers, (it could backfire, but dont focus on that) making you a high value employee that companies will beg you to work for them
  •  another thing is getting your LinkedIn and other networking sites done professionally with head shots, skills and such to get you noticed by potential employers.

I am thinking of hiring an professional interviewer and learning all their interview secrets so I know exactly what the company wants so you can twist the system to your liking, I know that there are a lot of variables in the interview process and the hunt, but do you guys know any other ways to add value to yourself? My purple cow would probably being mastering coding with several languages and working DIY electronics, possibly volunteering to add value to the resume or showcase myself as some kind of "humanitarian philanthropist" , are there other tricks or techniques to learn as an employee? Thank you for reading, some help.

My advice to you (given that you're in high school as another commentor said... correct me if I'm wrong, of course) is to make a master plan with particular milestones that you need to hit. But make this plan very flexible so that you can tailor it to reality. Also, be careful with too much negative motivation. Don't fall into the trap of taking things too seriously, not being well rounded, forgetting to smell the roses, or thinking that your success in your career makes you more important or better than anyone else in the ultimate self. Don't also fall into the trap of thinking that you can add value to yourself in any existential way.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that the professional world often has a lot of logistical circumstances and complications that are unforeseeable in the planning stages. So, always keep your ear to the ground and don't let your ideals and expectations drown out your awareness of what is real in the industry or profession. Always be willing to adapt to fit your circumstances, instead of sticking to your ideals. But in order to be successful, I always found this affirmation helpful for keeping myself working when I would lose inspiration or get tired: "Successful people do things well, especially when they don't want to."

Otherwise, good luck and give it hell! :D

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

Life purpose is the most important thing in life, yet you treat it as if it just a "job"

@Bagoober @Bagoober What advice? To go to college and figure it out? What kind of advice have people offered? And that thing about ego, you need ego to achieve your goals:

Leo discusses this as to put yourself out there, and then he says to transcend and then release the identity (Enlightenment)

I've made money off a site called swagbucks, which has 30 min surveys for $0.50, so $1/hour. I made $ 10 then donated it to charity on this site called karmakarma to help kids in Africa have access to food and water and that act of giving made me feel amazing. That is what life purpose is about, you get your top 5 strengths and top 10 values and build a purpose around that, I want things to work out and for everything to be perfect, I also watched these two videos:

Edited by JevinR

@Bagoober I just don't want a job I hate. I am going interview tommorrow for a job, pay is 15/hour plan is give money to Gura so he can give me advice. One of my strengths from don clifton's strength finder is focus, which simply means a need for a destination. "You need a destination, as each day, each week and each year you set goals. Always keeping the end in mind. Your focus reminds everyone that if something is not helping move toward your destination , then it is not important. And if it is not important, it is not worth your time"

This is why when you say silly things like "relax" your young, go to college and get a degree it pissese me the fuck off, and makes me agravated because I want a purpose nailed down to a vision. I want a plan before going into college, I want to know my major before I go in. I also want to know my job and to know all the details and everything like that. That "cocky" part is another strength, in Don Clifton's Strength Finders 2.0, it is called Significance, which is a wanting to be recognized and wanting for success. I don't want to make a mistake, I don't want to fail.

Edited by JevinR

On 22-6-2016 at 2:28 AM, JevinR said:

Because I want a masterplan laid out, people who don't plan their lives are fucking complete failures, why the hell would I waste my summer doing stupid shit like working a job I hate, I want to be the best of the best in my chosen field

I'm working the game inside out, playing the world of jobs like a chess master, planning every move I make. The faster you have your life purpose nailed the fuck down, the happier and more successful/fulfilled I will be as excellence is one of my top noble values. I'm not worrying, I'm planning. Thinking 10-20 years ahead before everything happens. My cousin sister said "You can't plan" I say hell yes you can. I'm negatively motivated, I want a job I love and I'm passionate about along with six-figure payment and to be a top-performer. I don't wanna fuck up or fail. The most important part of life purpose is contribution, but I am still thinking how I can best contribute to society or what is needed?

Bro your on some hard core shit, I like it. I have the same thing at the moment, still in school for 3 years computer science, I need to do a lot of deliberate practice. I think the best way to get leverage is just getting a fuck ton of experience in your field and deliberate practice. I highly recommend you read the book So Good They Can't Ignore You.

14 hours ago, JevinR said:

@Bagoober I just don't want a job I hate. I am going interview tommorrow for a job, pay is 15/hour plan is give money to Gura so he can give me advice. One of my strengths from don clifton's strength finder is focus, which simply means a need for a destination. "You need a destination, as each day, each week and each year you set goals. Always keeping the end in mind. Your focus reminds everyone that if something is not helping move toward your destination , then it is not important. And if it is not important, it is not worth your time"

This is why when you say silly things like "relax" your young, go to college and get a degree it pissese me the fuck off, and makes me agravated because I want a purpose nailed down to a vision. I want a plan before going into college, I want to know my major before I go in. I also want to know my job and to know all the details and everything like that. That "cocky" part is another strength, in Don Clifton's Strength Finders 2.0, it is called Significance, which is a wanting to be recognized and wanting for success. I don't want to make a mistake, I don't want to fail.

You're not gonna get your dream job until you have a degree, according to your other posts, so why fret about LinkedIn now? The only summer work you'll get will be temporary, and not in your field. 

Like @Emerald Wilkins said, your plan needs to be flexible - around half of new college students change their degree within the first year or two - if you keep up with your tunnel vision, you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you realize your dream career is really boring, or the classes are too hard, or maybe you take a class in another field and realize you prefer that.

What we're saying is, you've been in a bubble up through high school, college has so many more classes than you've ever taken - and if you're stubborn you're going to miss out on opportunities.

@Bagoober Thank you. What's the point of the life purpose course then If I just go to college and figure it out? I even bought all the books, did I make a mistake?

Edited by JevinR

2 minutes ago, JevinR said:

@Bagoober Thank you. 

You're welcome, sorry if I come across as mean or harsh - I'm just trying to make sure you get the point. I, and many others will tell you that their initial career / major ideas changed once they went to college. I thought I'd like pre-med, but then I realized I was more passionate with engineering. If I had been stubborn, who knows if I'd be as happy as I am now with my career. :)

2 minutes ago, JevinR said:

@Bagoober What's the point of the life purpose course then If I just go to college and figure it out? I even bought all the books, did I make a mistake?

They can still help, you just need to accept that you're still so young, and that your purpose may change. Also, purpose doesn't have to be super defined - instead of saying "my purpose is to be a [career job]", why not make it be "my purpose is to help others"? That way, you can still change your career, and have it fit your purpose.

Also, you don't need to know your life purpose this early - give yourself 2 semesters at college first. Think of life like this. Right now, you're in a room - and you grew up and have always been in this room. You know everything about the room, and to you the room is the whole world. But college is leaving that room and discovering there is a whole lot more to life, that you didn't even know. Right now, you know a lot - but there is a LOT more out there, so why make a big decision until you've seen what's outside the room?

Edited by Bagoober

@Bagoober I think I made a mistake buying the life purpose course then, should I ask for a refund? I wasted more than 3k on books and buying the course three times as the first time I made a mistake and bought my old account that was shut-down so I had to buy it again, making it a total of 3 times of buying the course. and he hasn't helped me at all. I did give out the log-in details, but I then gave him more money. I could give him more money in hopes of getting some advice, but it would be a huge mistake to keep giving him money if he doesn't help. I wish I didn't steal from him and he just give some advice. My passion or what I had a good feeling when doing was math, but now I'm on a plateau and feel math is not it, as it is silly and useless/unpractical. I want to be a theoretical physicist now

Edited by JevinR

9 minutes ago, JevinR said:

@Bagoober Thank you. 

It can come in handy in a few months - I'm just saying be flexible, there are things in life you can't control - so if you try to control every aspect perfectly, it can stress you when life throws you curveballs. Also, I edited my last post, hopefully it helps

Life purpose books can help - it's just that you should be happy during the summer, don't stress too much - you'll have plenty of time to be stressed in college with exams and stuff (jk it's not too bad). But take the time to just find what makes you happy, and re-visit the books in a couple months once your minds been opened up in college. Best of luck with college by the way!

Edited by Bagoober

11 minutes ago, JevinR said:

@Bagoober I could give him more money in hopes of getting some advice, but it would be a huge mistake to keep giving him money if he doesn't help. I wish I didn't steal from him and he just give some advice. My passion or what I had a good feeling when doing was math, but now I'm on a plateau and feel math is not it, as it is silly and useless/unpractical. I want to be a theoretical physicist now

Then stop giving money for now. This site, and the courses will be here in a year, no rush to get them now.

And that's what I mean, you don't learn advanced physics in high school, so wait until college to see how you like them. Maybe you realize that math isn't your passion at all, and you realize being a lawyer is your dream. Again, high schools don't have law classes, so wait until college. You don't know if you like a food until you've tried it, so think of high school as a simple meal, but college is a buffet - and you'll be able to try everything until you find what you like! :)

@Bagoober @Bagoober Wow, I wasted so much money on the course, I even donated money because I wanted to give him the money back for stealing.