Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gohabsgo

How do we talk without thinking?

3 posts in this topic

This is gonna sound strange but this very question has been an extreme source of anxiety. Even as I’m typing this out without thinking I feel like I’m not in control.

I feel hyper aware of my thoughts and am scared that my personality is all made up and I’m going to lose the aspects of myself I love. Where are my thoughts coming from?  I feel the deeper I dig the more anxiety I’m getting

Edited by Gohabsgo

Not strange at all. It's a common experience for self-actualizers. A semi-detached meta-view of the personal story. It can feel awkward and uncomfortable at first. The self construct wants to control the narrative and survive. Over time, this generally dissolves. This opens new doors. . . 

I don't believe that you can talk without thinking, thought is by its nature a prerequisite to speech, as Seneca said

"Speech is the mirror of the mind" 

Thoughts just arise in consciousness and you have no direct control over what you think next

"Reading and learning are things that anyone can do of his own free will; but not so thinking. Thinking must be kindled, like a fire by a draught; it must be sustained by some interest in the matter in hand. This interest may be of purely objective kind, or merely subjective. The latter comes into play only in things that concern us personally. Objective interest is confined to heads that think by nature; to whom thinking is as natural as breathing; and they are very rare. "

The point of the quote above is that if you want to gain more control over your thought process it must be "kindled", meaning meditate and ruminate more