Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joegarland

Finding A Teacher

8 posts in this topic

I'm interested in Rupert Spira's story of meeting his teacher, Francis Lucille, and how it sort of attuned him towards experience enlightenment. It sounds from various places in the interview that Rupert was spending personal time with his teacher. (At 16:45 he mentions being in Francis's home.)

I'm very attracted to this idea of having a regular teacher, especially one that you spend informal time with. But I don't know where to start. I have no idea how to find a teacher, how to request tutelage. Anyone have experience with a teacher? 

49 minutes ago, Toby said:

in the second video his answer to the lady about the teacher was a pathetic at best response. i can only imagine what was going through her mind and maybe i do know.

I would keep it simple. Look to what teachings or teachers you feel drawn to and look what is available for you. Either in the area where you live or - if you have the money - offer reatreats in your country somewhere. Quite a few teachers also offer skype-sessions or 1on1-sessions. There are a lot of possibilities. It also depends how many "disciples" a teacher has and how his personality is. Some have no problem meeting you at home, some are not that open. But you first should look for a teacher in a teacher and not a friend.

1 hour ago, joegarland said:

I'm interested in Rupert Spira's story of meeting his teacher, Francis Lucille, and how it sort of attuned him towards experience enlightenment. It sounds from various places in the interview that Rupert was spending personal time with his teacher. (At 16:45 he mentions being in Francis's home.)

I'm very attracted to this idea of having a regular teacher, especially one that you spend informal time with. But I don't know where to start. I have no idea how to find a teacher, how to request tutelage. Anyone have experience with a teacher? 

the only teacher that can liberate you is inside of you, sit quietly and still and be with your core being, experience it more and more, deeper and deeper, and you will see a master come forth, i promise you.

2 minutes ago, Toby said:

I would keep it simple. Look to what teachings or teachers you feel drawn to and look what is available for you. Either in the area where you live or - if you have the money - offer reatreats in your country somewhere. Quite a few teachers also offer skype-sessions or 1on1-sessions. There are a lot of possibilities. It also depends how many "disciples" a teacher has and how his personality is. Some have no problem meeting you at home, some are not that open. But you first should look for a teacher in a teacher and not a friend.

how many people have the ability to even know if someone is really self realized? what guage would they use to know, there are millions of so called spiritual teachers but only a very few will be self realized, most are not,   and if you are not following someone who is self realized, where do you think it might take you, i can tell you where it takes most, in circles on a journey of practices, philosophies, beliefs, with no expectation of arrival at any destination, in todays world it about levels, levels of spirituality, levels of enlightenment, its a misconception that creates confusion, there is no levels of enlightenment, you are or you aint.

2 minutes ago, charlie2dogs said:

how many people have the ability to even know if someone is really self realized? what guage would they use to know, there are millions of so called spiritual teachers but only a very few will be self realized, most are not,   and if you are not following someone who is self realized, where do you think it might take you, i can tell you where it takes most, in circles on a journey of practices, philosophies, beliefs, with no expectation of arrival at any destination, in todays world it about levels, levels of spirituality, levels of enlightenment, its a misconception that creates confusion, there is no levels of enlightenment, you are or you aint.

here is the post i posted to the one who wrote the topic,

the only teacher that can liberate you is inside of you, sit quietly and still and be with your core being, experience it more and more, deeper and deeper, and you will see a master come forth, i promise you.

@joegarland what type of enlightenment do you want? That's the most important thing to know who we should pick. There are many people saying that they are enlightened. But non of them got my interest but Leo. Because enlightenment or Nirvana or Christian or Buddhism whatever is just a concept. The real thing is in yourself. What do you want? What do you want to know? Only after that, you'll find a right teacher who is chosen by your inner self.