MiracleMan

Neo-Advaita Protocol, A Critique

1 post in this topic

Prime Directive

• When approached with a difficult or personal question, evade it by claiming 'there isn't anyone here'. 
  • Indirectly imply through negation your claim on the truth by negating and undermining all other forms of teachings, useful or otherwise.
  • Indulge in 'guru bashing'.
  • If a teacher or teaching ever used the term 'I am', it clearly shows duality, and therefore isn't a valid teaching, except in situations where the context would prove you to be right.
  • Claim there is no intention behind said meetings, but then use it as a platform to mock and undermine someone who expresses a belief.
  • Practice meditation for years, even decades, then claim that said practices were pointless and should have never been indulged in.
  • Attack attendees for using personal pronouns when it doesn't suit your argument.
  • When someone approaches you about your reactiveness, shrug it off by claiming there is simply a misunderstanding and 'there isn't anyone here.'
  • Be as reactive and confrontational as you choose, there isn't anyone here after all, it's all one, your just attacking yourself so it's perfectly fine.
  • Imply, but don't reveal, that you hand out enlightenment via osmosis
  • Make sure it is YOU who always gets the last word in.
  • Dominate the conversation.
  • And the number one rule you should follow totally:  You are always right no matter what, and everyone else is wrong, if you don't except this one idea above anything else on the list, you will not be successful at running these meetings. 

Guys, don't take this post too seriously.  I've taken some obvious jabs at the neo-advaitains, but I wont throw the baby out with the bath water.  This obviously doesnt apply to all situations and all nonduality meetings.  But like all satire, it points out the hypocrisy inherent in any modern movement it targets.  It is also a reflection of my own brooding creation.  There are clearly 'someones' out there claiming to be 'no ones', and it's a quasi-religious movement.

I think neo-advaita has its place.  In fact, I do enjoy listening to many of the talks, its refreshing and sometimes shakes loose some of those tightly held beliefs.  It can cause you to react, it can trigger you, which is important, because otherwise your just listening to what comforts you, and expansion doesn't occur in comfort but rather in the absence of security.

Edited by MiracleMan

Grace