Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capriciousduck

Discipline

2 posts in this topic

How much is self-studying important?

My parents and relatives keep on telling me to join some courses or do some small job. They say If I don't do my brain would turn into a devil's workshop. On the other side, I download courses from the internet and I study by myself. Does those advices come from a lack of discipline? I mean do people study only when they go to school/college or join some courses?

I'm a big fan of self-studying but it has its limitations. There are reasons to have a teacher apart from being disciplined by someone.

Studying all by yourself has the disadvantage that you don't know how well you will be able to apply the studied knowledge practically. Even if you practice by yourself, you do not know what society expects from you and therefore don't know the market value of your skills.

Other than that if you study by yourself, you introduce your own bias into the studies you do. If you study in a group, you can triangulate each others blindspots and self-biases with multiple perspectives.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2