Oneness

Enlightenment As Life Purpose?

19 posts in this topic

Would it not be wise to pursue enlightenment and self mastery hardcore before pursuing one's life purpose? Actually being very selfish first and only focusing on yourself and then go out and impact the world afterwards.

Wouldn't you be WAY more able to have a big impact if you TRULY mastered yourself first? Besides can you even know if your life purpose is 100% authentic before enlightenment? 

I did the life purpose course, but I have no idea if my impact statement is truly meaningful, or if its being influenced by moralization, beliefs and ego. 

I'm 20 now I am highly considering spending the next 5-10 years on pure self mastery. I've booked Peter Ralston's 4 week retreat this fall, this is my first step. After that I will consider applying for his apprentice program starting mars 2017 which is 7.5+ month program. 

Could my first life purpose be to become enlightened? Or is it too selfish to be considered a life purpose, since it does not entail any impact on others yet? 

highly appreciate any advice!

What level are you at? Are you selfish now, or do you feel as though you want to help the world?

That's my plan: to heavily master myself. After I finish university I plan to do a 3 year residency at a zen monastery in Japan called Antaiji.

But you would need a job or something to sustain the costs of investing in yourself. Have you managed to find work?

Edited by Huz88

15 hours ago, Oneness said:

Would it not be wise to pursue enlightenment and self mastery hardcore before pursuing one's life purpose? Actually being very selfish first and only focusing on yourself and then go out and impact the world afterwards.

Wouldn't you be WAY more able to have a big impact if you TRULY mastered yourself first? Besides can you even know if your life purpose is 100% authentic before enlightenment? 

I did the life purpose course, but I have no idea if my impact statement is truly meaningful, or if its being influenced by moralization, beliefs and ego. 

I'm 20 now I am highly considering spending the next 5-10 years on pure self mastery. I've booked Peter Ralston's 4 week retreat this fall, this is my first step. After that I will consider applying for his apprentice program starting mars 2017 which is 7.5+ month program. 

Could my first life purpose be to become enlightened? Or is it too selfish to be considered a life purpose, since it does not entail any impact on others yet? 

what would you do to become enlightened?

Forget about enlightenment. Focus on mastering yourself and enquiring about the nature of self. Raise your awareness.

On 16/6/2016 at 6:35 PM, Oneness said:

See ya in the fall then :D

I do not see enlightenment as an end goal. I foremost agree that self-mastery is the first step. However, I am not sure that it is necessary to separate service-to-self and service-to-others. In much the same way that it isn't necessary to separate enlightenment and transformation, if you have read 'Pursuing Consciousness'.

I take a very integral approach to personal development. After the LP-course, I formulated a life intention (to grow and catalyze the growth of others). You may notice that with this intention, a positive feedback loop will be created; As I grow, I am better able to catalyze the growth of my environment and as they grow, they won't hold me back as much. Most of this is theoretical speculation though, I have yet to apply much of this in my own life... The future is bright!

@Huz88 

I saved up alot of money from being a fisherman for a year. It was a living hell, but made ridiculous money out of it. 

Edited by Oneness

4 hours ago, Blaze35 said:

See ya in the fall then :D

haha, cool you headin there too?

11 hours ago, Oneness said:

@Huz88 

I saved up alot of money from being a fisherman for a year. It was a living hell, but made ridiculous money out of it. 

really? like the fisherman on deadliest catch? 

On 6/16/2016 at 0:35 PM, Oneness said:

do you really think that the human identity with all its programing, false beliefs, and warped perceptions about everything can actually choose to become enlightened as a purpose?

6 hours ago, Huz88 said:

really? like the fisherman on deadliest catch? 

haha kinda yeah, but where I am from we have  way more cushy comfortable conditions, but it still sucks..

5 hours ago, charlie2dogs said:

do you really think that the human identity with all its programing, false beliefs, and warped perceptions about everything can actually choose to become enlightened as a purpose?

No.

I'm not saying I should necessarily wait for total complete enlightenment before choosing a life purpose, but to a big extent get rid of all that shit before pursuing a life purpose. Maybe calling enlightenment my life purpose is not the right label.

It is actually a roadblock I am working on on my spiritual journey at the moment, the problem that "I" want to become enlightened so that "I" can enjoy life more. 

2 minutes ago, Oneness said:

No.

I'm not saying I should necessarily wait for total complete enlightenment before choosing a life purpose, but to a big extent get rid of all that shit before pursuing a life purpose. Maybe calling enlightenment my life purpose is not the right label.

It is actually a roadblock I am working on on my spiritual journey at the moment, the problem that "I" want to become enlightened so that "I" can enjoy life more. 

let me ask you a question if you dont mind, what exactly do you mean when you say, im working on my spiritual journey, how does that work, what does spiritual mean anyway.

14 minutes ago, charlie2dogs said:

let me ask you a question if you dont mind, what exactly do you mean when you say, im working on my spiritual journey, how does that work, what does spiritual mean anyway.

yeah.. spiritual journey is probably not a good word, as it is often related to hippie horseshit. 

Basically by spiritual journey I mean working on increasing consciousness/awareness.

Edited by Oneness

Just now, Oneness said:

yeah.. spiritual journey is probably not a good word, as it is often related to hippy horseshit. 

Basically by spiritual journey I mean working on increasing consciousness/awareness.

ok good deal and i agree on the hippy part

language is a mischievous creature. The when tent bemuses paper a treetop if get me you.

Edited by Huz88

@Oneness  I think what you are considering is very wise.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

@Oneness What is the emotionally difficult thing to do here? Ask yourself that when faced with decisions. For me with my decisions to move to Japan that would be the emotionally challenging thing for me, it scares me a lot, but for myself I can see the results it will produce in my life that I want as it aligns with my values.

Edited by Huz88

6 hours ago, Huz88 said:

@Oneness What is the emotionally difficult thing to do here? Ask yourself that when faced with decisions. For me with my decisions to move to Japan that would be the emotionally challenging thing for me, it scares me a lot, but for myself I can see the results it will produce in my life that I want as it aligns with my values.

Yeah, well of course leaving everything I have at home behind is very difficult. Mostly it's social life that will be left behind, but still, it's not like I am abondining my family and friends forever, I will see them again.

But really when I think of it, there is not much besides that, that I am leaving behind, which is why I think it's ideal to do it now. Because now I have absolutely nothing to lose, no obligations, no business, no bills, nothing.