Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NERDSTEAK

Does Time Exists?

4 posts in this topic

I ask myself if time exists. Some time through this question, and you can't have past or further. What I mean that you can even characterize what time is. There is no characterization of it, its only an idea that we made. If you don't agree, then comment below.

@NERDSTEAK honestly I think it's the other way round, that most people on this forum probably agree with you :) 

Its definitely made up, the past and future don't exist at any moment, they're always the present moment and there's only the now 

33 minutes ago, NERDSTEAK said:

I ask myself if time exists. Some time through this question, and you can't have past or further. What I mean that you can even characterize what time is. There is no characterization of it, its only an idea that we made. If you don't agree, then comment below.

time is a human construct that allows humans to be able to give order to everything around them.

4 hours ago, charlie2dogs said:

time is a human construct that allows humans to be able to give order to everything around them

Something that demonstrates this, that people generally don't consider, is that clocks don't actually measure time: they measure other clocks.  That is, time experienced is not an absolute or a constant, but it is relative.  So you can't actually 'measure' time, because it's a subjective experience.  So what do you do?  You have one clock somewhere, which you call 'correct', or 'absolute', and all other clocks then measure time relative to that central clock.  But - actually - how long is a second?  Ask a fly, ask a tortoise, ask someone who is bored, ask someone who is sitting on a hot stove, ask two lovers together, ask someone who is leaping out the way of a speeding car...