nex462

What direction in my life should I take?

4 posts in this topic

I don’t have too many goals in my life other than get a job that makes a livable salary (maybe ~$40,000 CAD). Right now, I spend all my free time on the computer watching videos and playing video games. I feel like I need a constant stream of entertainment of some kind or else I will get bored. Reading a book would be a difficult task for me if It doesn’t peak my interest.  I have no social skills and am very awkward to approach. I would also consider myself to have below average intelligence. Throughout most of my life I used to procrastinate but I have been able to eliminate it for the past 6 months or so.

I am in my early 20’s and I am in my third year of a 4-year business degree, but probably closer to halfway due to failing a few courses and not having a full 5 course load every semester. Right now, I’m majoring in general management, but I don’t think it will be very useful for job prospects and I’ve been reading online that concentrating in a more specific area should be important.

I currently have the option of majoring in Accounting, Finance, General Management with either a concentration in Innovation and Entrepreneurship or Social Innovation, Human Resources, International Business, Marketing and Supply Chain Management. I feel like Accounting is off the list since I don’t think I could handle spending all my time dealing with accounting statements and numbers. I took a course in it and I hated it.

I originally went into business since I wanted to get into online marketing and the idea of marketing was always interesting to me. I’ve read online and I’m hearing that companies are looking for people who can analyze lots of financial and statistical data and the traditional Marketing jobs that required not as much expertise in Mathematical knowledge are becoming less relevant.

What are your opinions?

Pick accounting. You can work in financing with accounting but not visa versa. Pick up useful electives. Learn to code. 

YouTube Aaron Clarey. He picked financing. Recommended account by the fact that you can work remote more than in financing. You can learn marketing without the degree. If you pick a degree, go accounting. Entrepreneurs usually having littlest edu or coding, comp sci or engineering backgrounds. More annoying is that many profs teachers haven't succeeded on the field. They work as a teacher like himym mosby having failed in the career. 

See what you like but check Aaron Clarey out on YouTube. I read his book worthless. Most degrees are garbage. Pick STEM or trades or accounting. There's many aspects of accounting not just book keeping which isn't actually accounting. 

You sound lazy wanting to avoid math. I was not good at it but I busted my ass. Do the same. Consider learning to code. My buddy is in marketing but he learned to code. Its a amplifier in the job market. He's a jack of all trades. Master of none. Your aimed salary is not even close to hid bonus lol. Go where the money is. 

Another buddy is a DNOMAD. Internet marketing guy. Works from a laptop. Highest edu level is high school. He's nit rich. Makes more than the salary yiu aimed for in usd. Works anywhere in the world. Answers to nobody but no pension, no social skills or gf and wife. Its a5 a cost. Nothings free. 

Good luck. Make sure you network. Its not just what you know. Its who you know too. 

It sounds like you don’t have much life experience bro. You need to start doing thing. Pursue new experiences. Get uncomfortable. You don’t know yourself well enough to know your life purpose. Get out your bubble. 

The game of survival cannot be won.