tsuki

#1 priority for 2020: Self-care

246 posts in this topic

Recently, I've been contemplating my relationship with housework, particularly with preparing my own food and general cleaning. I have lots of resistance to these things that I want to let go of.

I received hexagram 63 and was directed to work with the Helper of Transformations in order to free myself from some of my beliefs. The first belief was about my physicality, pain and limitations. I perceive limitations as something evil and something to be overcome. This creates unhealthy relationship with pain, resistance, food and my body. I could not be anything in particular without being limited.

The second belief is about house chores. I perceive them as "dead time", something to be performed so that I can do something else. Learning to appreciate these things for their own sake will be awesome.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

I absolutely love spending time in the forest and I've been very fortunate to do so often during my winter vacations. I recently felt that this need to spend time alone deepened. When I decided to let go of the old knife that I had and bought a new one, I learned about bushcraft and it sucked me right in. I remember that when I was younger, we used to go out into the forest to practice firing ASG. We would dress up in military outfits and train in a three person group. When I look back, the best thing about it for me was camping - making a fire and consuming food.

For the past couple of days, I've been consuming a lot of videos on choosing the right equipment. So far, I've been collecting my gear from surplus military stock. It's cheap, durable and designed for the purpose. I bought a 60 liter British military backpack, sleeping bag and a bivy bag, Austrian army gore-tex anorak, and a softie and Czech army trousers. I still need some equipment, but I'm very glad that I bought these. Even though it's winter in Poland, contrary to popular belief, we had very little snow for the past few years so I think I will start my journey very soon.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@tsuki   Are there any streams with trout in your area?

I’ll take wintertime camping over summer camping anytime. I love the smell of breakfast cooked over a campfire. Even better is trout wrapped with tinfoil with butter, lemon,  and onions thrown in and baked in coals with a side dish of some greasy, salty, fried potatoes . 
Also a fan of moonlight walks in forest and pastures with no additional light.
Both solitude and being in nature are major elements in my life which I wouldn’t want to live without.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

1 hour ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

@tsuki   Are there any streams with trout in your area?

@Zigzag Idiot Probably yes, but I never learned to fish properly. I live next to the Vistula river.

Have you ever slept outdoors? I want to be able to spend multiple days outdoors, maybe do 3-5 day trips. 

I also started a new journal for 2021: 

1 hour ago, tsuki said:

@Zigzag Idiot Probably yes, but I never learned to fish properly. I live next to the Vistula river.

Have you ever slept outdoors? I want to be able to spend multiple days outdoors, maybe do 3-5 day trips. 

I also started a new journal for 2021: 

Beautiful looking country! That’s a BIG river,, Looks like a good one for a canoe maybe.
Yes, I’ve slept outdoors a fair amount. I recommend getting a sleeping bag rated for about 20 degrees cooler if not more, than what you’ll be sleeping out in. Usually I’ll get acclimated to the cold air after about 24 hrs. out in it. I like to dress in several light layers that can be easily taken off and on while hiking. Taking care not to break into a big sweat if possible and also to put on fresh dry socks 4-5 times a day.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

@Zigzag Idiot I bought a modular fall/spring sleeping bag with optimal temperature of 0/-5 down to -15. It can be extended with an insert that serves as a summer sleeping bag so that it can also be used in winter.

Pretty excited. I'm learning to choose the right boots. I thought about going for military boots, but now that I'm learning more about it, I think that I may be able to choose more specialized purpose but we'll see.

30 minutes ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

I like to dress in several light layers that can be easily taken off and on while hiking. Taking care not to break into a big sweat if possible and also to put on fresh dry socks 4-5 times a day.

Yes, I learned about this method. This is very practical I'm actually impressed by it. I wonder why regular clothes are not made this way. Would save a ton of electricity if we were more knowledgeable about it. Reminds me of Frank Herbert's Dune stillsuits.