Koda

Gaining Weight?

6 posts in this topic

I am often called skinny. I am quite short too, but not much I can do about that. Weight is something I can adjust though! Last summer I began a sort of diet to gain weight and it worked more or less, since I was stuffing my face the most of the day (not literally). It was a friend's recommendation, for breakfast a focus on oatmeal with yogurt and bananas or other fruit, for lunch and/or dinner a lot of meat, rice, potatoes.  A lot of water, milk. Not just these few, but also others to keep the diet 'rich' or random. After the summer when school started I went for an exercise routine. Three (or less, sometimes) times a week, for about an hour and a half, nothing scary. My school schedule was kind of weird as well, and for some reason I kept losing appetite. I lost quickly what I gained, and can't seem to focus on maintaining such a diet.
Some meat on my bones is the overall goal, nothing extreme, no abs or balloon-like muscles. I'd like to ask for some fingers to point me in the right direction. A helpful book to read. Good foods to try. The importance of routine (eating at a set hour), not really aware of it. How much sleep has to do with it. General things. Any ideas?

If you want to gain weight take more calories than you burn. If you want to lose weight burn more calories than you take.

I drink 1 litres of full-fat milk everyday to lose weight. Proteins and carbohydrates will not work alone. You need to add oil dressing, sauces and all other sources of calories to your meals. You need to eat snacks a lot. If you do this in balance you'll be healthy. If you excess you'll gain weight. And if you want to lose weight cut off snacks, oils and sauces.

Don't drink fizzy drinks. I just drink milk, sugar-free coffee and water. So you'll be healthy.

Hello. I will suggest you to start training street workout. I was skinny like you and decided to change my life. Every day I woke up with passion and gave my best to gain weight. I began eating so much. I didn't have appetite and ate 2-3 times a day. Now I eat 4-5 times a day and I feel gorgeous after workout. My life is changed in a better way definitely.

Hey Koda,

I was 88 lbs as a HS sophomore in 1976 and it took a continued effort for many years of exercise and clean eating. I've watched our world change over the last 55 years and it's become apparent that with the info on this site that Leo has created will help you with the psychological aspect very well. 

Be patient will allowing your body to gradually gain weight in response to the stress you create with your muscle development program.

Begin simply with body weight workouts 2 times per week, sleep 8 hours each night and eat only whole foods with zero "Frankenstein food" (man made with additives or preservatives)

Avoid "easy button" approaches and take the lifelong journey, it's worth it, you'll see:)

It's been 47 years of exercise and it, along with self development, has changed my life.

You can do it.

Emile Jarreau

Just choose one way/program/plan to train and stick with it for a year. Don't look anywhere else if the current plan doesn't work, but find out what are you doing wrong in your current plan and fix it. Some real serious results don't take less than a year. have that in mind so you won't have unrealistic expectations that lead to de-motivating you. It will require your focus and consistency.

Edited by Nick
missing word

A fellow genetically scrawny- prone brother! haha. I feel your pain strongly man. But cheer up. There's hope for us. After some long research and some common sense I found a way to go from 168lbs to 190lbs during last semester (and i walk/run a lot  too) and my goal is around 210lbs cuz dude...i am 6'3 . The solution? No complicated diet or anything of such nature....Just eat. However the important is when and what.

Simple: Every 3 hours ( set your alarm clock to remind you...might sound silly but if you are serious abt it u  will do it.)

What to eat? Glance at nutritional label really quick, and look at calories per serving size. The higher that number, the better it is for you. Don't fear the fat. How often have you heard of a skinny guy complaining that they gained too much weight? Most of the time it is more like "It doesn't matter how much I eat, i just do not gain weight!" Which feels true , but when you sit down and track what you are eating daily, you will be amazed how little much you are missing. Oh and when you have time look up online how to calculate the daily intake of calories you need in order to gradually gain weight. With the 2 tips mentioned above you are guaranteed to reach that number before dinner time :)