Mada_

I don't see how art helps the world - a question to artists

21 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if somebody has already phrased it this way, but I'll make it very practical. Art is one way of seeing everything. Think of the computer you are typing on, there might have been practical reasons and needs to invent one. You can think of it as solving a certain niche problem (cfr. systems thinking), however you can also look at it as a work of art. Someone envisioned a world where people could use a computer and be connected through the internet and we have collaborated to make this a reality. This is not obvious, not something that simply had to exist or was required for life to be lived. It was a vision and became a piece of art by making it a reality.

Everything around you was created in the same fashion. The government and our society as a whole is a work of art, somebody had to come up with the idea. The way we go to the mall or agree to not kill each other, the ticketing machine at the train station, the social security system, national parks, anything. We envisioned it and then we made it a reality. We created it. There is no reason at all for these things to exist. So the question then is, what do you want the world of tomorrow to look like? How could we live and interact with each other, how could we produce food? How could we care for nature? Nothing is written, we are in charge as the creators.