Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hansu

Proportional representation in elections

1 post in this topic

What is your opinion on proportional representation?

It seems like as conservatives around the world gain more popularity, people on the internet have voiced their opinions against proportional representation. Why would a vote of someone living in Chicago be valued less than someone living in Texas?

I apologize if Im wrong here, but for my understanding USA's electrolar college pretty much works like proportional representation. Yes, in presidental election 100% republican state could give 100% to a democrat, but if Im not wrong, usually the state gives proportions to different representatives according to how the people voted.

Because small states have more voting power than humongous cities, it has led to things like Trump becoming president even though he gained less votes than Hillary. So does this make electrolar college bad?

I don't think so. Our world is run by people in business suits living in large cities. A true democracy would give more power to those who already possess large amounts of power. In true democracy the minority states(or municapilities) of the country would not be representated by the government, as the large cities would have all the power.

In my homeland this would mean that Uusimaa, which covers only 9 500km^2 out of 335 000km^2 with population of 1.65 million (Out of which 600k live in Helsinki), the people living in Uusimaa would absolutely dominate the polls as only 5.5 million people live across the country. Count in 3 next largest cities outside Uusimaa and that makes up 50% of the population. Direct democracy would not representate the people, it would representate the people of major cities.

Maybe Im being the captain obvious here, but I feel like on the internet there is so much opposition against proportional representation and so little in its defense, so I wanted to open discussion here and see what you people think of this topic. Im most interested in alternative viewpoints

Thanks!