Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cepzeu

Method for quick flow state during meditation

1 post in this topic

Here is a simple method that I have found helps to cut through the initial monkey mind and agitation when sitting down to meditate. For me this specifically helps with the Do-Nothing technique to achieve prolonged, focused awareness with little monkey mind within 3-5 min - you could call it a flow state. Thought I would share in case it helped some people.

1. Obviously, get rid of anything that might distract you.

2. Get comfortable and sit in whatever posture you plan to meditate in.

3. Begin breathing deeply and quickly (hyperventilating) for maybe 15 seconds.

4. At the end of that short time, finish your out-breath (DON'T force all the air out, just let your lungs deflate like at the end of a normal breath) and stop breathing.

5. Don't breathe for a while and just be aware of wherever you are in TOTAL stillness. Because you hyperventilated for a bit it will help you to stop breathing for a while. 

6. When you feel like you would like some more air repeat steps 3-5. 

7. When you have repeated the cycle about three or four times you should be in a very aware state with little monkey mind. You can then proceed with your normal breathing and meditation as you wish. Play around with it and see whether it helps.

Some notes:

- I've found it better to stop breathing on the out-breath and not to hold a big in-breath in. It's just more comfortable. It's why I mention 'not breathing' rather than 'holding your breath'

- You will know you've done it correctly if you don't feel an immediate hunger for air when you stop breathing. This will allow you to sit in complete stillness.

- This is similar to what Wim Hof does but his method is way longer and for a slightly different purpose, from memory I think he hyperventilates for a full minute. Here you are just doing about 15 seconds so that you can sit in stillness for a bit.