Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VeganAwake

The Old Empty Boat Story!!

5 posts in this topic

If a man is crossing a river and an empty boat collides with his own skiff, even though he be a bad-tempered man he will not become very angry. But if he sees a man in the boat, he will shout at him to steer clear. If the shout is not heard, he will shout again, and yet again, and begin cursing. And all because there is somebody in the boat. Yet if the boat were empty, he would not be shouting, and not angry. If you can empty your own boat crossing the river of the world, no one will oppose you, no one will seek to harm you…. Who can free himself from achievement, and from fame, descend and be lost amid the masses of men? He will flow like Tao, unseen, he will go about like Life itself with no name and no home. Simple is he, without distinction. To all appearances he is a fool. His steps leave no trace. He has no power. He achieves nothing, has no reputation. Since he judges no one, no one judges him. Such is the perfect man: His boat is empty.

Osho Rajneesh

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

I'm not sure this applies to Osho himself ;) but good advice anyway. I particularly like the bit "To all appearances he is a fool." I don't suppose I can always tell the difference! 

Edited by silene

@silene  Most of this material describes taking the middle path staying neutral and not becoming attached. He didn't believe in beliefs and he always described himself as nobody. He was wealthy but didn't need wealth.

The great way is not difficult for those who have no preferences ❤

When we fully accept the isness of each moment we do not suffer.

Resisting the present moment is what causes suffering. The ego loves to have an opinion on the way it prefers things to be ?

Nobody can enter the gateless gate so be nobody ❤

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@VeganAwake yes, non-attachment is the way. I've just seen Leo's video on Letting Go, that's another name for it. I am letting go of my opinions of Osho and keeping an open mind. 

Edited by silene

2 hours ago, silene said:

@VeganAwake yes, non-attachment is the way. I've just seen Leo's video on Letting Go, that's another name for it. I am letting go of my opinions of Osho and keeping an open mind. 

That's awesome yes a grounded openness is a perfect position.

Yes absolutely when you drop all the layers of armor you've collected since birth you become completely vulnerable and simultaneously invincible because there is no one here to get injured anymore. The Personal me is seen as an illusion and what isn't real cannot get injured anymore.( this of course take some time to sink and it's not immediate).

You become curious and excited like like a young child seeing the world for the first time again with new eyes(reborn). You feel weightless and unburdened and available to start living life for the first time.

There are lots of little phases but when everyone is seen as you and the unconditional love starts flowing you know you are getting close to home.

Everything starts becoming beautiful again which it's always been ❤