docproc

Lack of drive and direction in life for something good

3 posts in this topic

Ive been struggling for a long while to try and find any meaningful direction in my life. I'm currently doing a degree in engineering, which ive grown to dislike. I do want to change into something else but I really don't know what to change into. I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and all I really want is things very low on Maslow's hierarchy (money, sex, social status). But I really want to want to do something impactful but I just don't have the emotional drive for anything else and I feel guilty about not really wanting to do anything of value to the world. No career of that sort really appeals to me. But when I think of having an online business (for example marketing)  that could possibly make me alot of money and allow me lots of freedom I get drive to do that. But it would be just for the money. I know intellectually that it won't fulfill me and that if that's all I do in life I will regret it. I've never really excelled at anything, always been quite average. So I don't really have any obvious talents. Should I just pursue money so I can move up the hierarchy? Or wait till I find something better? I've been stuck for a number of years now. I'm am also very interested in meditation and enlightenment, but I'm not sure I'm coming from the right place to persue that yet.

I currently really dislike what I'm doing and am craving a clear direction so I can move out of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Cheers guys.

My opinion is go for the money, if that's what will motivate you right now then you should do that. I know intellectually you know it won't bring you fulfillment but you will need to experience that for yourself first hand. Also if you go down the road of making money other things might materialise, the important thing is to just start going down a road otherwise you'll think yourself into non-action 

Yes. Go for money and status, just temper the worst exploitative excesses you might be inclined to do. Getting a business or a job might be enough to get you interested in the next level.