CroMagna

Do Nothing All Day?

3 posts in this topic

My understanding of Do Nothing Meditation is that involves allowing the mind to wander wherever it wants to go and feeling all your feelings with no attempt to control your thoughts.  If you do that all day, are you practicing Do Nothing all day?  Or is that just what people normally do?

Edited by CroMagna
typo

@CroMagna That is not Do Nothing. I'd recommend a Zen retreat if you want to learn more about the practice of Do Nothing.

unborn Truth

Imo, do nothing means you have no distractions besides just doing nothing, you just face emptiness so to speak. Tbh I think it is a bad idea to teach this technique to newbie students, as this stuff is pretty advanced. I'd start from simple concentration practice like focusing on breath and then grow your consciousness "state" while meditating from there. From focused attention on the object to effortless attention on the object to efortless attention on space to efortless attention on entire cosmos to efortless attention finally on nothingness. You build up to that thing. Without good concentration abilities (which you can train) it is very hard to hold on to nothingness truly. So I suggest sticking to less advanced stuff for now (although don't let that limit you by any means)