Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vitamine Water

Breath awareness

69 posts in this topic

On 03/11/2019 at 3:04 AM, modmyth said:

What do I use it for? Oh, I mainly make green smoothies, cause I don't always get enough leafy greens otherwise. I blend up a lot of baby spinach. I also make these old school protein shakes with raw eggs and milk, which might sound gross, but you don't really notice it much texture/ taste wise. (I usually also add cocoa powder/ coffee for flavour and a slight caffeine jolt, plus red reishi extract for its adaptogenic qualities. Red reishi does taste kind of gross, honestly.)

Also, blended vegetable soups. I think may have mastered the art of low effort nutrition with a blender.

Baby spinach is the way to go. Makes every smoothie Instagram worthy. 

The art is to look without looking 

Day 18

Busy busy busy day at work but managed to be aware of breath a couple of times. Meditated during lunch.

Breath exercise during the metro ride didn't work out well. I am too focused on what's going on outside of me. How people are sitting and standing and looking. I love to just sit and observe people. But it's a distraction if I want to focus my attention inwards. 

Oh wait, inside is outside. Forgot. 

Passenger: "sir, its the final stop, you should get out!" 

Non dualist: "how can I get out if I'm already outside?" 

Edited by Vitamine Water

Interesting article about breath awareness:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.artofwellbeing.com/2016/06/14/breath-awareness/amp/

"The first step in addressing any breathing maladies is becoming lavishly well acquainted with your breathing. Get into a comfortable position (lying down or comfortable seated position) and try to discover:

- The location of the breath (its movement).

- The origin of the breath.

- Its frequency.

- The phrasing of the breath.

- The texture of the breath.

- Its depth.

- The quality of the breath."

22 hours ago, Sombra said:

Hey actually glad you're doing this experiment. I've thought about doing this myself, but mentally I'm pretty taxed to focus on this right now...I know it takes a ton of willpower to become conscious of your breathing patterns.

Keep it up

Thanks for the encouragement brother! And you're totally right. It's harder than I thought. Moments where I become aware of my breath are so brief and short that it feels like I'm not progressing. Especially during work or other activities that need a different kind of attention.

There is so much to focus on. If only our lives were about just one thing. I guess the enlightened cavemen have figured that part out. 

❤️❤️

Edited by Vitamine Water

Day 19-20

Yes! Awareness was good these two days, especially in public traffic this time. I tried to do a little inquiry into my breath but there was too much going on. I best do the inquiry at home in a quiet environment. 

Stir it upppp, little daaaarlinggg..... This song is so gooooddd

Day 21

Breath awareness was better at work today I must say. I had a few short breaks where I did small exercises. But when I got home, I lost all awareness. Basically untill meditation just before going to bed. 

Day 22,23

I did one exercise today, I was tired and didn't have much energy. It also was my last workday at my temporary job, which means I have more spare time now. A lot of cool art projects going on!

Day 24

Breath inquiry. 15 minute meditation. Focus on breath while breathing automatically without altering anything. The results:

-The location of the breath (its movement).

When I breathe automatically, my belly and my lower chest move up and down simultaneously. Sometimes my belly moves first but only slightly. I breathe with both my chest and my belly (in a relaxed state, while lying down) 

- The origin of the breath.

My mind tends to go for the nose because it seems most obvious. The air doesn't come in through the belly button now doesn't it???? Maybe in a parallel universe where pineapples could actually talk, but not in this reality. 

But in experience, it's hard to pinpoint the exact origin. Every movement seems to happen simultaneously. Even the sound of the breath in my nose happens at the same time when my belly and chest are moving up when breathing in. 

- Its frequency.

Steady breaths, at the start a full breath lasted about 4-5 seconds. I forgot to count when I was in a more relaxed state (in the same session) 

- The phrasing of the breath.

Pauses between the breaths also slightly increased over time. At the start there were barely any pauses, just a continuous movement of breath. Over time, maybe after 5 minutes, pauses became a little longer. Maybe like a second or two. 

- The texture of the breath.

Soft, relaxed. Focusing on breath makes my whole body relax. 

- Its depth.

Relatively shallow at the start, more deep and slow at the end. 15 minutes where actually too short to notice any considerable differences. 

- The quality of the breath.

See texture.

NOTES:

- Increase duration to 30 minutes (only for inquiry) to see how my breath develops over a longer period of time. 

- Take a deeper look at the origin of the breath

- do the same session, but with belly breathing. 

Edited by Vitamine Water

Day 25

Good day today. Did my 3 exercises in the morning, afternoon and I just finished meditation where the first 5 minutes was breath exercise. I do notice that it's more comfortable being in the empty space of awareness instead of focusing on my breath. It takes a little more effort and energy to keep focusing. Where as being awareness takes no effort. 

I'm not a huge fan of different techniques while meditating. After a few years I've narrowed it down to just sit and rest in awareness. Awareness being aware of itself. Whatever that means.

Sometimes I cry out of nowhere when I'm in that space. The beauty is sometimes overwhelming. And I realise that I can't locate what's beautiful and that makes me cry and laugh at the same time even more. I realise that I don't know what I'm crying and laughing about and I realise it's just for the sake of it. Beauty itself is beautiful. 

Sometimes I think people in insane asylums aren't so insane. Maybe insanity is the wrong label. Maybe they get it and we don't. Who gets to decide when someone is sane or insane? I have no idea what I'm taking about. Back to breathing already! 

Day 26

Besides from the two breathing exercises I did today, I was very asleep today. Not sleepy, but asleep. I'm absorbed in painting and other activities. 

Belly breathing has become more natural. It requires almost no effort when I focus on it. 

Day 26

Exact copy of yesterday. If I want to make progress, I need to change some stuff. Starting with time scheduled exersizes. Right now it's all over the place. I need consistency

So, this means:

- 1st breath exersize: 9:00 AM

- 2nd breath exersize: 13:00 PM

- 3th breath exersize: during meditation before bedtime. Usually at 23:30 PM

And try to focus on breath in between those timestamps whenever I can. 

Edited by Vitamine Water

Day 27

I'm feeling GOOOOD. I'm in this artistic flow where ideas are flowing and things are going so well. Artists that work fulltime on their art are so inspiring. That shit makes me so motivated to focus on art every day. No days off. Following my dream to become a full time artist and sharing my art with the world and doing collaborations with other artists. It's time to get out of my comfortable cocoon. It's time to EVOLVE, PICKACHU!!! I've been living in my own pokeball for too long. 

Whoever or whatever is pulling me towards it, I'm fucking ready. Eat me baby!!

Breath awareness went well too, today. I decided to add another time stamp for after dinner. The gap between 13:00PM and 23:30PM ish is too big. I found myself doing one exersice after dinner and it felt natural. 

In terms of 'effects' of these small breathing exercises, I get the same physical and mental relaxation as a 'normal' short meditation. Thoughts slow down, I get more present and my body feels relaxed, like a sinking sensation.

I do 2/4 exercises in a chair, and the other two while lying down. 

Edited by Vitamine Water

Day 28

Average day. Did the four exersices but again, I feel asleep right after. I noticed myself slipping into a lower level of awareness.

I feel like doing another breath inquiry tonight. It was pretty entertaining and relaxing the last time. And I think that over time it helps with becoming more aware of all the subtleties surrounding the breath. Not just a focus point on my belly, but also sound, rhythm, frequency and other sensations. 

Day 29-30

The last two days went well. Today I missed the morning exercise so I did that later in the day. Also, the last two days I've been meditating more seriously. For the last month or so I didn't feel like sitting up in a formal meditation posture like I normally would. I was being lazy so I lay down in bed, put some headphones on and listened to binaural beats and fell asleep in the process. Not cool yo. 

Luckely I felt the urge to change that habit during the last two days. I can't half-ass meditation. 

Edited by Vitamine Water

Day 31

During one exersice today I noticed that chest breathing actually requires more energy than belly breathing. I switched from belly to chest breathing for a second and the difference was quite noticeable.

After each exercise I tried to consciously keep my focus on my breathing so that I wouldn't slip back in awarenesslessness (is that even a word?). Worked out pretty well the first time while watching a YouTube video. I could focus on the content of the video while still having subtle focus on my breathing. It Didn't last very long, maybe 30/40 seconds. Definitely worth continuing. 

14 hours ago, Sombra said:

How do you feel your energy levels/mood is while becoming more conscious of your breathing?

Anything to note? :) 

Hey man! 

Not much really, only short term. After these exercises I feel very calm and relaxed and present. But it doesn't last for long. The awareness is lost fairly quickly. For that I feel like I need more practice and momentum, and dedication for sure. 

Hbu? Have you tried belly breathing?