Raphael

I just got physical threats

22 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2019 at 7:08 PM, archi said:

I know you might get injured/killed so ideally you avoid any contact (i.e. keep distance) and in the mist of arguments explain your standpoint and let it go once it is over. It was a great opportunity for training control, speech, manipulation, etc. 

He was very close to me and I felt his aggressiveness in his voice, but I think I correctly handled the situation as I was very calm and non-reactive in the moment. I choose to go away when he told me he will beat me next time.

On 10/7/2019 at 10:32 PM, Serotoninluv said:

Although the response was excessive, I understand aversion to unleashed dogs and why there are leash laws. As a runner, I've experienced many cases of dogs aggressively chasing me and on a couple occasions, attacking me. This leads to a different perspective than most dog owners have. When a dog is approaching/barking at me - I don't know the degree of danger. Once a person has been chased and attacked by dogs, it can trigger a strong "fight or flight" response. Similarly, when one's leashed dog has been aggressively approached/bitten by another dog - it changes the dynamic. . .When a dog approaches and barks at me, I don't know how dangerous it is. When a dog is approaching/barking, the dog tries to appear dangerous - that is the whole point of approaching/barking - to appear dangerous and to intimidate. All dog owners I've met think their dog is a peaceful dog that would never harm anyone. Until they do. . . One time a dog approached me barking and I just stood still so I didn't seem like a threat - I stood still hoping it wouldn't bite me - which it did. . . The dog owner was shocked and said her dog "cupcake" is a good dog that would never harm anyone. Then she accused me of scaring cupcake and said her dog was simply trying to defend itself from me (as I stood still with my arms by my side). . . . And I had some sharp words for her irresponsibility as a dog owner (although hitting her dog or threatening her would have been excessive). . . . From this perspective, unleashed dogs that bark and approach can be very intimidating and distressing. It can make an environment very unpleasant. . . However, truly gentile non-barking dogs, like golden retrievers, are different - since they are non-threatening. 

Yeah, I understand and honestly, I also have been confronted with dogs who were clearly aggressive. If I didn't move out, I would probably get hurt in these situations.