Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rasheed

Can Multi-Tasking be killing my concentration?

24 posts in this topic

@Rasheed thank you very much! I'm gonna check it out.

By lack of concentration I mean I have been forgetting things all day, like I am going to take something in the kitchen, but then when I arrive there, I don't know what I was about to do anymore. And when I am studying I spend a long time until I can finally concentrate in some subject and start learning something, for example.

26 minutes ago, Devi Shanti said:

@Rasheed thank you very much! I'm gonna check it out.

By lack of concentration I mean I have been forgetting things all day, like I am going to take something in the kitchen, but then when I arrive there, I don't know what I was about to do anymore. And when I am studying I spend a long time until I can finally concentrate in some subject and start learning something, for example.

I had same problem in my Basketball practice. At the start of the workout, it was hard to concentrate and actually do the moves way I do them usually.

As I have found, problem was I wanted to get to the big stuff, too quickly. I wanted to handle big stuff, have high performance with 0 momentum.

Way I solved that, is by starting small. (In Basketball for example, I  started to shooting close range shots at first, rather than starting shooting from the half-court. I start feeling how Basketball and net feels at first, rather than going straight into actual training)

I realized that it was not really problem of concentration, it was really about peak performance.

Thing which helped realize that was Leo's video about Peak Performance. Leo has a great episode which talks about peak performance. https://www.actualized.org/articles/peak-performance

I applied the concept of MICRO MOMENTUM in my daily Basketball practice, and it really helped me. I think, it will help you in studying too. 

I would not consider that as a concentration issue, I think it's more about knowing how our performance works, knowing about momentum and than applying micro momentum in your every day tasks and life. 

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

1 hour ago, Rasheed said:

I had same problem in my Basketball practice. At the start of the workout, it was hard to concentrate and actually do the moves way I do them usually.

As I have found, problem was I wanted to get to the big stuff, too quickly. I wanted to handle big stuff, have high performance with 0 momentum.

Way I solved that, is by starting small. (In Basketball for example, I  started to shooting close range shots at first, rather than starting shooting from the half-court. I start feeling how Basketball and net feels at first, rather than going straight into actual training)

I realized that it was not really problem of concentration, it was really about peak performance.

Thing which helped realize that was Leo's video about Peak Performance. Leo has a great episode which talks about peak performance. https://www.actualized.org/articles/peak-performance

I applied the concept of MICRO MOMENTUM in my daily Basketball practice, and it really helped me. I think, it will help you in studying too. 

I would not consider that as a concentration issue, I think it's more about knowing how our performance works, knowing about momentum and than applying micro momentum in your every day tasks and life. 

Interesting... But what would be a concentration problem, then?

1 hour ago, Devi Shanti said:

Interesting... But what would be a concentration problem, then?

Concentration problem would be, if you actually build up a momentum but you can still not focus...But I doubt that would happen, focus on building up a micro momentum, you will get 'in the zone', and things will go smoothly.

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport