Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ActualizedDavid

Books about therapy

3 posts in this topic

I wanna learn how therapy works. 

Can i get some books that get directly to the practice ?

??

@ActualizedDavid

There are various types of therapy. Top-down therapy (the kind of therapy you do with a psycologist), bottom-up therapy (where you work on your deep emotions). There is psychoanalysis, cognitive behavioral therapy, transpersonal therapy, psychodynamic psychotherapy, shadow work, therapy focused on CPTSD, positive psychology, hypnosis, NLP, and so on.

I don't have read a lot of books on them, but I found some that have helped me greatly. These books are not "academic", they are written in a "commercial" style, but still they are very valuable:

• Teal Swan - The Completion Process (a mix of psychoanalysis, shadow work, CPTSD therapy) (I found it extremely powerful)
  • Debbie Ford - The Dark Side of the Light Chasers (shadow work) (IMO, a little mild)
  • Martin Seligman - Learned Optimism (positive psychology)

I'm also planning to read more in-depth books in order to learn more, such as:

• Benjamin Smith, Lorna Smith - Interpersonal reconstructive therapy for anger, anxiety, and depression
  • Jeremiah Abrams - Meeting the Shadow
  • Jonathan Baylin, Petra Winnette - Working with Traumatic Memories to Heal Adults with Unresolved Childhood Trauma
  • Martha B. Straus - Treating Trauma in Adolescents - Development, Attachment, and the Therapeutic Relationship
  • Michael Orlans, Terry M. Levy - Attachment, Trauma, and Healing - Understanding and Treating Attachment Disorder in Children, Families and Adults

Also, Freud, Jung, Rogers, Adler, Maslow have contributed enormously in the development of therapy.

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

Thank you for this detailed answer. I will go and have a look at some of them !

Thank you !