Vagos

Is there any merit in specific meditation postures?

4 posts in this topic

This has probably been asked before, but I didn't succeed in finding sufficient answers. Is there anything wrong meditating on a chair instead of half lotus / lotus position? And generally, is there any merit in different meditating positions? I have been meditating for 20 minutes every day for a year, and now this year I'm trying to stick with a one hour / day habit. This has me being very distracted by trying to maintain the posture itself. I have not noticed any improvements on my focusing ability when I'm meditating half lotus instead of regularly sitting on a chair. If anything, the latter lets me be more focused since I'm not in any physical strain. That said, I'm assuming that these postures have a role to play since this is the tradition. What do you recommend? Thanks

Just now, AlldayLoop said:

I did ask a similar question before, except in regards to lying down doing meditation.

Hopefully some of the responses from there are helpful (:

If you lie down there's high chance that you fall asleep as has happened to me before. Lying down doesn't work, at least for me. But I'm not sure about how it's different meditating lotus or just sitting.

Everyone has their own path. I have thought the same about facing east. Depends on your beliefs. I currently believe it is horse shit, but it is in my mind, so facing east is probably best.