Aaron p

Has anyone else noticed their knees bending outward?

4 posts in this topic

I've noticed that my knee caps are starting to bend outward because of the classic meditation position. I've actually started to notice a little bit of pain in my right knee. Some professional thoughts?

not a professional but I do know that bone is subject to remodeling quite easily, there are even specialized cells called osteoclasts/ osteoblasts that either eat away at bone or lay down new bone tissue.

so when bones are set in a certain position for extended periods (ie meditation) the bones can adapt to this by remodeling themselves in accordance to that position.

i would say the only way to reverse the issue would be to not perpetuate it and not sit like that anymore so the bones can readapt to normal activities.

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

You may be forcing the joint in an unnatural position when too much pressure is being put unequally on the tendons holding the joint so it is starting to re-adapt. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad as you may be weakening the tendon so maybe try to explore other ways of sitting when meditating or use an extra cushion under your butt. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus