Knock

Sales mental block

7 posts in this topic

I am having trouble reconciling if its me or the company I work for that is creating the problem. Basically, I have to push a supplementary product to the service I provide. But the product isn’t worth the value we are selling it for, and I know that competitors sell it better for cheaper. I don’t believe in the product I am being obliged to sell, but it makes the company a lot of money.

Hence, my sales numbers are low. My boss talked with me saying that I have a ‘mental block’ that I must overcome if I was ever to expect a bonus at the end of the year. Note that all my other colleagues seem to not have any problem in this area.

Maybe I do have a mental block, and hence need to spend time overcoming the issue. Or maybe the company has deceptive practises, and my values are simply incompatible with that?

Any advice?

Lets suppose that you have a mental block.
Do you see any reason to sell the product and overcome the block that is truly worth striving for?
Would you feel better if you were able to sell it freely?

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

The reason to sell the product would be to increase my pay and keep my job.

In that light, I would like to sell the product. 

22 hours ago, Knock said:

The reason to sell the product would be to increase my pay and keep my job.

In that light, I would like to sell the product. 

Are you able to overcome this issue without losing integrity?

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@tsuki Not at all. It is because I feel a lack of integrity in what I am doing that provoked me to ask this question.

However, I know that integrity comes from your values. I am worried that my values may be false and ungrounded with the reality of life. If I am the only one in the company that has a problem with this issue, logically I think it is me that holds the wrong belief, and not the company. I am very unsure, and would like some guidance.

The only thing that can ground your values is truth. Truth is not an abstract concept - if you're in tune with it, it's visceral.

1 hour ago, Knock said:

If I am the only one in the company that has a problem with this issue, logically I think it is me that holds the wrong belief, and not the company. I am very unsure, and would like some guidance.

My advice is to counter-balance your logical conclusion with feelings - for your coworkers, clients, family and yourself. The mind's job is to provide facts and arguments, but ultimately - it is the heart's responsibility to choose. Never give up your right to make choices in favor of the collective opinion, even if your choice is painful.

It is impossible to make a step back because of being wrong, but it is possible to miss the lesson and think that you're unwise.
Suffering will teach you the right way to live over the long run, so listen closely and live courageously.
Sometimes it takes courage to fight, and sometimes it takes courage to hide.

Edited by tsuki

@tsuki Thank you for your responses tsuki, they have been very helpful :)

I need to learn to listen to my feelings more, perhaps they hold more wisdom than I am aware of.